Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mr. Bittle comes home

Article about: Mr. Johnie Bittle age 19 left Alabama to go to a land far from home. Johnie Bittle served with the 167th Regiment 42nd Rainbow Division. Bittle was wounded twice and served in 3 different ba

Default Mr. Bittle comes home

Mr. Johnie Bittle age 19 left Alabama to go to a land far from home. Johnie Bittle served with the 167th Regiment 42nd Rainbow Division. Bittle was wounded twice and served in 3 different battles. Alabama boys served and fought hard “ send the Alabamians”.
    My home was built by Captain Robert Dobbins of the 167th. The 167th is special to us here and now Mr. Bittles Purple Heart is back in Alabama and I’m honored to be the caretaker.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mr. Bittle comes home   Mr. Bittle comes home  

Mr. Bittle comes home   Mr. Bittle comes home  

Mr. Bittle comes home  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

A very special item!

MAP
    ?

Fantastic Marty! Glad you got it.

You know...the 42nd Rainbow Division was stationed/trained in my hometown (and I still live there too) at Camp Mills. My parents house was built in the early '30's on the Camp

The monument in the attached link is just a hundred or so yards from where I grew up. I would pass by it every day walking to school.

The 42nd Rainbow Division; One Man’s Quest to Shed Light On A Forgotten Aspect of Long Island’s WW1 History | LongIsland.com

Surrounding Camp Mills is also Mitchell Field (a WW2 airbase) and Hazelhurst Field (a WW1 and post WW1 airbase). Hazelhurst was renamed Roosevelt Field after Teddy Roosevelts son, Quentin who was a WW1 pilot who was shot down and killed. And for those who remember Roosevelt Field was where Lindbergh took off on his famous transatlantic flight.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Marty,
    It's good that it is with someone who really knows and appreciates it's history.
    I think it's found a good home.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Outstanding Marty,
    Its in excellent hands now!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Fantastic! these things are what make us love our hobby.
    Congratulations.

Santi

BTW, Marty.
    This is a great photo. Well done.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mr. Bittle comes home  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

That is a very nice item with history Marty. Glad to see you are the caretaker.
    John

Thank you for seeing the value and sacrifice of these young boys that became men so fast. This is the house where he lived when he received the PH in 32’ and this is the statue in his hometown. I plan to take the PH to both locations. The house that he came home too is longer there.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mr. Bittle comes home  
    Attached Images Attached Images Mr. Bittle comes home 

Michael,
    Thank you for the link. I my have to mail the PH to you for pictures at the monument. LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast