Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Mr. Bittle comes home

Article about: Mr. Johnie Bittle age 19 left Alabama to go to a land far from home. Johnie Bittle served with the 167th Regiment 42nd Rainbow Division. Bittle was wounded twice and served in 3 different ba

MAP
    ?

Nothing really remains except for a few hangers, some admin buildings and a few dozen Officers houses at Mitchell Field. As a kid though, a lot was still there and I used to scavenger hunt

They did however transform a few hangers into the Cradle of Aviation museum. It's really good. Most people don't realize how big of a role Long Island played in the development of early aviation in the US. Huge influence.

Cradle of Aviation Museum, Garden City, Long Island, NY
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Trying to put a Mr. Bittle uniform together.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mr. Bittle comes home   Mr. Bittle comes home  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

You know I've VERY jealous of this ensemble you are putting together! Great tunic/cap/helmet! Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Fantastic display Marty.
    Something to be very proud of.

Semper
    Phil

Thank you guys, the display is still coming together. What’s so weird is seeing the uniform in the house and knowing that in 1919 a man walked through the door of my house wearing a 42nd 167th uniform.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Only way to tell difference between 1860 saber and the 1906 model are : stamp with date and the scabbard. Also the hilt is steel not brass. We have none of these present here. This was a National Guard Unit and these were equipped with 1860 sabers, not 1906. 1906 went to Regular Army cavalry units. Also the numbers of the 1906 produced prove that there were not enough 1906 produced to equip national Guards also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3