Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

A mysterious lighter

Article about: Hi all, I've taken the first relic out of my collection and looked for information online as to where it might have come from. I bought it several years ago from another collector. It's an o

Default A mysterious lighter

Hi all,

I've taken the first relic out of my collection and looked for information online as to where it might have come from. I bought it several years ago from another collector. It's an old petrol lighter with a rooster (symbol for France) and a lion (symbol for England). It has the places 'Roeux', 'Lens', 'Bullecourt', 'Craonne' and '304' inscripted on them. So far I've managed to identify all the places with 304 possibly being Cote 304 at Verdun. All major sights from WW1.

However, I can't really find anything about where a lighter like this might have come from. Also, the combination of places and the two animals don't really make sense to me. At first I thought the lighter might have come from a British unit, but that doesn't make sense. I mean, I don't think any British troops fought at Verdun... maybe both sides just symbolize major victories from the French and English troops from the war? I don't know... it might be some kind of post war souvenir?

I'm puzzled but also very keen on finding out more. If somebody might know more about this lighter, I would be very grateful!

A mysterious lighterA mysterious lighter

I would say trench art, and possibly done by a gunner - note the cannon on both sides. I would go along with your theory of '304' referring to Cote 304. A very nice piece!

Cheers,
    Steve

Thank you for the reply! Nice to know that my theory about 304 isn't viewed as strange.