Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery Whistle

Article about: Does anyone have an opinion on this whistle? This belonged to my dads uncle who was in The Durham Light Infantry. He served in The Boer War and WW1, so it could be from either. We think its

Default Mystery Whistle

Does anyone have an opinion on this whistle? This belonged to my dads uncle who was in The Durham Light Infantry. He served in The Boer War anMystery WhistleMystery Whistled WW1, so it could be from either. We think its probably Boer War but are we correct? Any ideas?

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: Mystery Whistle

Ned, you are the man.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you very much. How do you guys know where to find information so quickly.
    Pp

Quote by Trelawney View Post
    Thank you very much. How do you guys know where to find information so quickly.
    Pp
    It's always a race for bragging rights

I do not think Ned does this for (Bragging) rights. I have seen him help many people without even a Thanks from them.
    Good ID Ned!

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    I do not think Ned does this for (Bragging) rights. I have seen him help many people without even a Thanks from them.
    Good ID Ned!

Eric
    Chill, it was what is called a joke.

Whistles of this type were a feature of full dress uniform for officers of Rifle regiments (such as the Rifle Brigade, King's Royal Rifle Corps etc). They were mounted on the black leather shoulder belt, with the clasp on the left shoulder and the whistle at bottom right. A regimental badge was worn in the centre of the chest, like this:

Mystery Whistle

The actual type of the "whistle and chain" (as it was called in Dress Regulations) was of regimental pattern, as illustrated in Ned's link. However, the regular Durham Light Infantry did not wear this type of accoutrement. There is one possibility that would make sense though, if your ancestor was actually a Territorial officer. The 2nd and 4th Volunteer Battalions of the DLI retained rifle-type uniforms for full dress right up to 1908, when they became the 6th and 8th Territorial Battalions respectively. If this is the case, he may have served with 1/6th or 1/8th Bn in WW1 and kept the whistle and chain as a souvenir of his Volunteer Force uniform. Both the 2nd and 4th Vol Bns sent men to the South African War, so this would also tally with your family information.

If you know the name of the officer, I could look him up and tell you which battalion he served with.

Rob

Default The Inkerman Chain

I know this comes a bit late.... About ten years late, but here goes anyway.

My Grandfather was in the Territorials-DLI but was enlisted into the Northumberland Fusiliers at the outbreak of WW2. Fought at Dunkerque as RSM and then got posted Iceland. As an RSM Warrant Officer his DLI dress uniform ( which I still have ) is adorned with a red sash and the Inkerman Chain like yours which Commemorates the battle of Inkerman during the Crimean War. At Inkerman the NCO's took command of the regiment having lost all the officers and eventually won the battle. The chain and whistle was awarded to all RSM W/O's since, for a period. N.B. My Great Grandfather was a colour sergeant who fought in the Boar War.

I have had my Grandfathers medals framed along with his Dunkerque medal and certificate, and thought I would include his chain and whistle. Unfortunately, I was never given the holder which the whistle would sit in and wondered if anyone might be able to help me locate one?

Best Wishes to all.

[QUOTE=Snakecharmer;2164443]I know this comes a bit late.... About ten years late, but here goes anyway.

My Grandfather was in the Territorials-DLI but was enlisted into the Northumberland Fusiliers at the outbreak of WW2. Fought at Dunkerque as RSM and then got posted Iceland. As an RSM Warrant Officer his DLI dress uniform ( which I still have ) is adorned with a red sash and the Inkerman Chain like yours which Commemorates the battle of Inkerman during the Crimean War. At Inkerman the NCO's took command of the regiment having lost all the officers and eventually won the battle. The chain and whistle was awarded to all RSM W/O's since, for a period. N.B. My Great Grandfather was a colour sergeant who fought in the Boar War.

I have had my Grandfathers medals framed along with his Dunkerque medal and certificate, and thought I would include his chain and whistle. Unfortunately, I was never given the holder which the whistle would sit in and wondered if anyone might be able to help me locate one? Google Drive: Sign-in

Best Wishes to all.
    Last edited by Snakecharmer; 04-28-2021 at 06:55 AM. Reason: image