Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Named 80th Division Uniform

Article about: Hello everyone, I came across this uniform a few months ago and thought I'd post some pictures of it. It belonged to PFC Robert H. Lewis. Mr. Lewis, a native of Loudoun County, Virginia, was

?

Default Named 80th Division Uniform

Hello everyone,

I came across this uniform a few months ago and thought I'd post some pictures of it. It belonged to PFC Robert H. Lewis. Mr. Lewis, a native of Loudoun County, Virginia, was was born in
    1892 and died in 1978. He was a farmer and a Laborer. I'm still researching Mr. Lewis and hopefully can find some more information about his life.

I found some surprises in the pockets of the uniform when I got home....extra, nicely preserved insignia and an index card with information written by an individual who purchased the uniform from Lewis's estate over 40 years ago.

The 80th Division in which Mr. Lewis served was nicknamed the “Blue Ridge Division.” It organized at Camp Lee, Virginia in August 1917 and trained for 10 months. On June 8, 1918, the Division sailed for France. The division had earned a well-deserved reputation as one of the most effective combats units in the U.S. Army. It fought in the Somme and Saint-Mihiel Offensives and was the only U.S. division to take part in all three phases of the massive Meuse-Argonne Campaign. The division returned on the USS Zeppelin, which landed in Norfolk, VA. on May 28, 1919.

Thanks for taking a look.

Tom

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named 80th Division Uniform   Named 80th Division Uniform  

Named 80th Division Uniform   Named 80th Division Uniform  

Fantastic uniform!!! More and more of these are coming out of the woodwork lately
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Great uniform!

Wow! A fantastic uniform any way you slice it.

Congrats on the awesome find!

?

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Tom

To bad the helmet and gas bag weren’t still with the grouping. Having the strings on the pants is a plus
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

fantastic! I just love these cotton uniforms.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That's a great piece of history to find, love it. Good it has been saved.

Default Over There!

Greetings Tom,

Thought you might enjoy Robert's manifests deploying to and returning from France.

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click on images to enlarge.

?

Thank you for this information Lance. It's much appreciated. I'll keep it with the uniform and other information. Thanks again.

Tom