Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Named Artillery Adrian

Article about: Hi, A new purchase last weekend. Liked the paint. Can anyone help with the name, seems to end with Francois which I believe can be a family name? How about the liner - haven't seen one with

Hi aicusv,
    Yes it could be an R, but Relliosier produces nothing in Google which would mean it would need to be a very rare name.
    Cheers,
    Tony

I've had another look at the name, and I did toy with the idea that the first letter could be an 'R', but after checking the style of the letter against some of my certificates and citations, I have come to the conclusion that it is definitely the letter 'P'. There is also the possibility that the sixth letter isn't an 'O', but an 'S'. Scratching letters into paint can be tricky at times, and one slip of the knife or nail can change the look of the intended letter. If you accept that this is a possibility, then the name could be 'Pellissier'. There are 479 soldiers with that surname, and 46 soldiers with that surname that also have the name 'Francois' as - or with other names, as their forename. You are wasting your time checking the spelling on Google, you should be doing your research on the French registers of those who served. Have a look on... Grand Memorial-Culture.FR

Cheers,
    Steve.

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the information about the Grand Memorial site, you are absolutely right, what a great resource! So I agree the name must be Pellissier.
    So what then is the first word above the name????
    Cheers,
    Tony

If the first word begins with T and is quite long, I can only come up with Tirailleur so far, which I guess is unlikely.
    Tony

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the information about the Grand Memorial site, you are absolutely right, what a great resource! So I agree the name must be Pellissier.
    So what then is the first word above the name????
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Now don't get too far ahead of yourself... I didn't say that the name must be 'Pellissier', I only suggested that it might be! Rule out 'Tirailleur' too, your man was artillery. If you look up the French calligraphy alphabet you will see that the letter 'F' and 'T' are remarkably similar, and bear in mind that these letters have only been scratched in. I can only see about three letters at the top, the other marks might be letters, and they might not. It is always best to concentrate on what you can be reasonably sure about.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Went into tunnel vision there looking at the letters - forgot this thread is about an artillery helmet!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2