Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New research project!!

Article about: Before I left Philly to go to my next duty station in 1982,(Where I'm at Now) My brother's best friend knew my passion for the Military history and my small collection. He had told me about

?

Thank You 08SMLE48 for looking into this. If these were Arty rounds, who better to ask than I guy who works with them

I was coming back to chime in and say that what James is holding are Not Mortar rounds after spending the last 2 days looking for the projectile for all the mortars mentioned including the 240mm. I found the French, British and the US versions. All showing something completely different than what James is holding.
    All the Mortars I found have Fin's on them , But what James is holding did not. It just had me searching for more answers.

I found this Utube video of the French using theirs during WW1. You can see the projectile they are loading has the fin's on it

French soldiers fire a 240mm mortar during World War I HD Stock Footage - YouTube

I found this photo of the British version.

New research project!!

Then I thought I would need something that shows the US version to lock this down.
    I found this in a US Army manual online and converted this pdf to jpg.
    New research project!!
    And this photo provided showing the US during training. I thought I would enlarge the photo and look closer at what they were doing by the muzzle. When I looked I could see the finned projectile they were loading. I enlarged and cropped it.

New research project!!

BAM!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Mortars are a sub-catagory of Field Artillery referring normally to a short barreled high trajectory weapon (except for mortar Guns) only capable of indirect Fire either muzzle loaded which often have control surfaces fitted to the projectiles or breachloaded with driving band. Field Guns, howitzers, tanks and a pile of other weapons (which are often exclusively described as being Artillery) are capable of direct and/or indirect fire and belong also to the Field Artillery.

?

Thanks Teck,
    I did looking to the German versions after you chimed in and mentioned the 15cm Granate 12.
    I saw they used mortars with no tail of fins.
    They have the driving bands around them, Some segmented other encircled the bottom near the base of the projectile.

That had me thinking I didn't research their Mortar.
    I have to say my knowledge of WW1 Mortars has increase drastically from when I started this thread.

What started as a research for a man service turned into a learning experience.

That is why I love this site.
    I appreciate every bodies input during this thread.

Thank You All

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Ok now I have decided to look into the Arty rounds for positive ID.
    it's ID that Projectile in James hand time,
    What I'm trying to look for one with the straight side with a rounded top vs the gradual tapered with pointy top
    WW1 French 155mm
    New research project!!

Thanks to Teck suggestion the German 15CM.
    I had to put this one in there when I saw the similarity's. Thinking could these be a Captured Photo Op.
    New research project!!

Now for the US, I found this photo of the US troops manning the 155mm Artillery piece with it's projectiles in position for use.
    I still need to find a more detailed photo of the actual projectile.
    New research project!!

I included cropped photo's of each round in James hand. I'm hopping the Markings on the one on the left may be a clue.
    New research project!!New research project!!

They all look Very Similar. Especially the location of the Driving Band , But I know that the Folks here have very keen eye's for details

There is the 43.2 on the one on the left.
    Is this comment by Teck "The 43,2 is the weight in Kilo" a clue to it being a capture German 15cm type photo op??
    What do you think?

Semper Fi
    Phil

"Now for the US, I found this photo of the US troops manning the 155mm Artillery piece with it's projectiles in position for use.
    I still need to find a more detailed photo of the actual projectile."
    The US wasn't really that big at large weapon production before WW1. They purchased alot of french designs and went into production, some of which stayed in Service into WW2. I'd expect them to look like the french Shell with a different fuse.
    I've got a collection of Books at Work with the french and german designs so I'll have a look for you next week when I'm back from holiday

Phil, Those are categorically not 9.45 In. I have several 9.45's and all the original documents for them and all are the normal fin stabilised bombs for use from a smooth bore barrel. As Teck says the picture does not give enough detail to give a positive ID, however the technical description is:

A Large Calibre nose Fuzed Shell with bourolet head.
    Single thin driving band.
    Marked in a manner that is reminiscent to the German markings.

43.2 Kg does not match up with the German 15 cm. With that profile the 1903 Pattern HE is 50 kg. 1904 Pattern HE is 40.5, 1912 Pattern is either 41.5 or 42 Kg. The only other calibre with that profile and approx size / weight close is the 13 cm that is 40.5 Kg, (General Staff handbook on German shells 1918 used). I am starting to wonder on country of origin or the meaning of that marking. I do tend to agree that it is a weight marking, that is to allow the gunners to calculate charge weight needed.

T-Stoff 15cm Granate 12 is given at 43kg.
    The french 155mm did have a wide flat bourelet at the beginning. I'll have a look what Belot says on tuesday

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    The US wasn't really that big at large weapon production before WW1. They purchased alot of french designs and went into production, some of which stayed in Service into WW2. I'd expect them to look like the french Shell with a different fuse.
    Your right the US went through a a revamp of their artillery in the early 1900s after their experiences in the War with Spain. But with the war in Europe they realized their brand new fire support pieces were already obsolete so American troops trained Stateside with American artillery and when the AEF arrived in France they were equipped with primarily French pieces. Mostly the M1897 75mm and the M1917 155mm howitzer (the one in Phil’s picture above). So the majority of shells would most likely be of French manufacture or American modeled after French design.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    I do tend to agree that it is a weight marking, that is to allow the gunners to calculate charge weight needed.
    Vegetius, Question is in those days did they annotate weight discrepancies from the standard weight as they do nowadays? Most shells have their standard weight but during manufacturing weight sometimes very by a couple pounds or so and you have to calculate for that as you have said. But I know a lot of non standard variables we account for today in order to get accurate predicted fires that artillerymen didn’t account for in those days.

The British did, as per the treatise of ammunition. German I'm not sure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast