Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Original gas mask ARS 17 (Belgian issue?)

Article about: Hello all! This is probably one of (if not) my favourite pieces - it's just so iconic of the horrors of chemical warfare & WW1 as a whole for me. It's also a rather personal item - with

?

Default Original gas mask ARS 17 (Belgian issue?)

Hello all! This is probably one of (if not) my favourite pieces - it's just so iconic of the horrors of chemical warfare & WW1 as a whole for me. It's also a rather personal item - with the name and writing. Judging by the stained and weathered straps, the lad who wore this may have gotten into some rough times. I have not changed it in any way (for all I know that canister strap has been tied like that for 100 years!)

I only assume it is an ARS17, so a French made mask - but being that I came across it in Belgium (Ypres no less!) I would not be surprised for it to have been a Belgian issue. I don't know what the TO stands for, or the red 'I' on the mask itself (in photos). I also do not know what the small hole in the bottom of the gas mask is for (ventilation? again, photos). Thankfully there is only minor damage from It (I assume) sitting in it's canister for many many years, so the eyepieces have slighly come away from the mask material at the edges.

(ugh, sorry about the side ways photos, they are normal in my pictures but always upload sideways here...)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original gas mask ARS 17 (Belgian issue?)   Original gas mask ARS 17 (Belgian issue?)  

Original gas mask ARS 17 (Belgian issue?)   Original gas mask ARS 17 (Belgian issue?)  

Original gas mask ARS 17 (Belgian issue?)   Original gas mask ARS 17 (Belgian issue?)  

Last edited by FinMC; 09-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.

That's an interesting mask!

?

That it is! Very happy to have found it while I was over there

I think It's a post war ARS, sadly