Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prayer for Peace pamphlet

Article about: I picked this up recently for next to nothing, I think it dates to WW1, however there is something in the sentiment that would seem to ring true even in another century and in the midst of a

Default Prayer for Peace pamphlet

I picked this up recently for next to nothing, I think it dates to WW2, however there is something in the sentiment that would seem to ring true even in another century and in the midst of another conflict.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 05-22-2022 at 02:27 PM.

As a Chaplain collector I find it very interesting.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

In my haste to post this on the forum I had missed the 1940 date - I have not been able to locate a similar example so far and I wonder whether it might have been produced during the Phoney War period - before May 15th 1940 when war in the West bagan?

Hi BlackCat.

It is a very interesting piece, thank you for sharing it with us.

I found one that had previously sold on eBay that was described as ww1 Prayer Card - Glory & Honour To Our Liberators - Belgium 1918-19. (that also has a 1940 date). I am wondering if it was reprinted and 'updated' during ww2 due to the conflict.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prayer for Peace pamphlet   Prayer for Peace pamphlet  

I also found this which points to the title being from hymn of remembrance by Victor Hugo.

REMEMBRANCE DAY -

On November 11th each year, everywhere in Europe and in the Commonwealth countries, including Canada, people observe the Remembrance Day. The holiday initially commemorated the end of the First World War (1914-1918) and, more specifically, the Armistice signed on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918, by French representative Marshal Foch and German delegate Dr. Erzberger.

Between 1921 and 1931, Remembrance Day, then called Armistice Day, was confused with Thanksgiving. We thanked God for the end of World War I. In 1931, November 11th was designated by law as the anniversary of Armistice and called Remembrance Day. Nowadays the holiday also commemorates all the wars in which a country has participated. It is somewhat an extension of All Souls’ Day in the sense that it honours those who perished on the battlefield.

Each year, Remembrance Day is celebrated with official ceremonies, during which music is omnipresent. Many musical pieces are performed, such as The Last Post or The Reveille, played on the bugle and The Lament, played on the bagpipes. It is also customary to interpret certain hymns, like this hymn of remembrance from Victor Hugo’s Songs of Twilight.

Ceux qui pieusement sont morts pour la patrie
    Ont droit qu'à leur cercueil la foule vienne et prie
    Entre les plus beaux noms leur nom est le plus beau
    Toute gloire près d'eux passe et tombe éphémère
    Et, comme ferait une mère
    La voix d'un peuple entier les berce en leur tombeau

Those who piously died for their country
    Are entitled to have the crowd come and pray before their coffin
    Among the most beautiful names, their name is the most beautiful
    All glory passes near them and falls, ephemeral
    And, as a mother would doà
    The voice of a whole nation cradles them in their tomb

Remembrance Day | Autumn | Year | The soundtrack of our lives

Kind regards,

Will.

Thank you for the additional info Willmore. I was just curious as to when this may have been used. The 1940 print date would seem to place it within only a few months of use given that in June 1940 Belgium was over run and occupied. My initial thoughts were towards WW1 given the language but it has clearly been produced post WW1. A nice find that only cost me 50p! I like little finds like these.

Hi BlackCat, no worries.

I think your instincts on the dates of production are right and maybe it was produced with the trauma of WW1 still fresh in the minds of the Belgian people, but just 'updated' to reflect what was going on in 1940. I have looked but can't find any additional information unfortunately.

That is a great price for a great price too.