Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Pre- WW1 British Officers Helmet Box ?

Article about: Hello I picked this up recently and was curious what type of Hat/Helmet went with his box? The labels are hard to read. I am not sure if it is possible to look the soldier up or not? the box

?

Default Pre- WW1 British Officers Helmet Box ?

Hello

I picked this up recently and was curious what type of Hat/Helmet went with his box?
    The labels are hard to read.
    I am not sure if it is possible to look the soldier up or not?
    the box most likely dates Pre-WW1?
    OBE is Order of the British Empire Correct?
    Thank you very much
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre- WW1 British Officers Helmet Box ?   Pre- WW1 British Officers Helmet Box ?  

Pre- WW1 British Officers Helmet Box ?   Pre- WW1 British Officers Helmet Box ?  

These boxes were very common for storing and transporting the spiked Victorian era helmet, used around 1880 up to WW1. Something like this would have been inside, (just an example not the actual regiment of owner.)

Major Heymann should be able to be researched, and would be an interesting project. Yes, Order of the British Empire. The Beatles bagged one of those too.

Its a pith or sun helmet tin dating from post 1920 the formation year of the Royal Corps of Signals.

regards

Mark

?

Hello Mark
    Thank you very much
    Tony

To get you started – London Gazette search results for “Heymann”

Heymann site:thegazette.co.uk - Google Search

Hello Tony,

A couple of things I have found on Ancestry for you Captain Acting Major Francis Albert Heymann

Mention in Despatches, 11th December 1917.

Medal Index Card obverse

Medal Index Card reverse

Francis Albert Heymann Born 1st September 1882.

I sincerely hope that they are of some use and help to you Tony.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. as a Footnote, I found the listing for his Awards and Medals sold in 2003.

A Great War O.B.E. group of six to Brigadier F. A. Heymann, Royal Corps of Signals, late Royal Engineers
    The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, O.B.E. (Military) Officer’s 1st type badge, silver-gilt (gilding mostly gone), hallmarks for London 1919; 1914 Star (Lieut., R.E.); British War and Victory Medals, M.I.D. Oakleaf (Major); Jubilee 1935; Coronation 1937, good very fine (6) £160-200
    Footnote
    O.B.E. London Gazette 3 June 1919.
    M.I.D. London Gazette 14 December 1917 and 7 July 1919.

Francis Albert Heymann was born in 1882 and entered the Royal Engineers as a 2nd Lieutenant on 1 October 1904. He was promoted Lieutenant on 23 June 1907 and Captain on 30 October 1914, holding the rank of Acting Major during 15 March 1917 - 26 October 1919. For his war services he was awarded the O.B.E., twice mentioned in despatches and received the brevet of Major on 1 January 1918. Appointed a Captain with the Royal Signals in 1920, he was promoted Major on 11 June 1921, Lieutenant-Colonel on 31 March 1926; received the brevet of Colonel on 1 July 1929 and attained the rank of Colonel on 1 April 1930, the same year he was placed on Half Pay.

Amongst his appointments, he was an Instructor at the Royal Military College Canada, 1911-14; Chief Instructor at the army Signal School at Dunstable during 1918; Second in Command of the School of Signals, 1921-24; Chief Signal Officer of India, 1924-30; Chief Signal Officer Southern Command, 1931-34 and was appointed Commandant of the Signal Training Centre, with the rank of Temporary Brigadier in 1934.

Hello Tony,

I have also found the following page from the Retired list which includes Heymann for you :

Double click to enlarge in a new page

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Tony,

The Brigadier died in 1950 in the North Riding, Yorkshire.

Brigadier Francis "Frank" Albert Heymann.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Hello
    You guys are absolutely amazing !
    I can't even find my car keys half the time , let alone information like this.
    Thank you so much for always helping out.
    I really appreciate it.
    Tony