Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Preserving a uniform

Article about: Hello everyone! Recently I was really lucky to purchase this beautiful identified WWI 332nd Infantry uniform. It belonged to a PVT John Werbeach who fought in Italy, and was actually wounded

?

Default Preserving a uniform

Hello everyone!

Recently I was really lucky to purchase this beautiful identified WWI 332nd Infantry uniform. It belonged to a PVT John Werbeach who fought in Italy, and was actually wounded on November 4, 1918 in the final hours of the war. This is an outstanding piece of history, and as can be expected with a 100+ year old uniform, it is quite fragile. My big concern is the fraying on the ribbons. As you can see there are multiple loose threads. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to properly preserve these ribbons.

Thanks!

Bodey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Preserving a uniform   Preserving a uniform  

Bodey,

As far as the ribbons there is not much you can do at this point but I will recommend that instead of displaying the uniform on a mannequin which is a nice idea but rather invest in a museum quality garment box for uniforms/coats/tunics etc. and lay the uniform flat in the box and cover the coat with acid free tissue paper.

You will have to go through a museum supply place like University Products or Gaylord for the large garment box. I would also take a photo of the uniform and place it in a document protector taped to the cover of the box.

I am a curator in a US Army museum and we see this type of deterioration quite often, especially with ribbons and medals that are suspended on the uniform. After time the thread looses it's tinsel strength and they start to separate, fray and become very unstable. The Center of Military History for which I work have published guidelines for its museum's to place uniforms/textiles from the American Revolution forward up to WW1 flat in order to properly conserve them and to prevent strain and separation of the threads in the arms, shoulders, seams and other areas which would normally fill out by a person or in this case a mannequin.

Conservation of these uniforms and accouterments is very labor intensive and extremely expensive.

I am actually on a lunch break right now but for the past 4 hours I have been inspecting some of the uniforms in our collection and conducting conservation reports of these very same issues with ribbons and other devices..

I hope this helps, and although the desire to display this uniform is admirable, I would recommend against it and based on your own words, "being a 100+ year old uniform and is quite fragile".. the best you can do now is to preserve this in the way mentioned above and once stored in the garment box, periodincally check on it..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

?

Thanks Smitty, I appreciate the advice!!

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Bodey,

As far as the ribbons there is not much you can do at this point but I will recommend that instead of displaying the uniform on a mannequin which is a nice idea but rather invest in a museum quality garment box for uniforms/coats/tunics etc. and lay the uniform flat in the box and cover the coat with acid free tissue paper.

You will have to go through a museum supply place like University Products or Gaylord for the large garment box. I would also take a photo of the uniform and place it in a document protector taped to the cover of the box.

I am a curator in a US Army museum and we see this type of deterioration quite often, especially with ribbons and medals that are suspended on the uniform. After time the thread looses it's tinsel strength and they start to separate, fray and become very unstable. The Center of Military History for which I work have published guidelines for its museum's to place uniforms/textiles from the American Revolution forward up to WW1 flat in order to properly conserve them and to prevent strain and separation of the threads in the arms, shoulders, seams and other areas which would normally fill out by a person or in this case a mannequin.

Conservation of these uniforms and accouterments is very labor intensive and extremely expensive.

I am actually on a lunch break right now but for the past 4 hours I have been inspecting some of the uniforms in our collection and conducting conservation reports of these very same issues with ribbons and other devices..

I hope this helps, and although the desire to display this uniform is admirable, I would recommend against it and based on your own words, "being a 100+ year old uniform and is quite fragile".. the best you can do now is to preserve this in the way mentioned above and once stored in the garment box, periodincally check on it..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    I ended up putting the uniform in a shadow box! Thought I would share the update!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Preserving a uniform  

MAP
    ?

Looks great!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Looks great!
    Thanks! I am very happy with how it turned out! I am currently trying to possibly find an image of Private Werbeach to include with the frame. Will keep you guys updated

Bodey,

This looks very good, You did a great job. One suggestion, if there is room, place some acid free tissue paper in the arms and sleeves to support the fabric.

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Bodey,

This looks very good, You did a great job. One suggestion, if there is room, place some acid free tissue paper in the arms and sleeves to support the fabric.

Smitty
    That is a great idea! I can, and will definitely add acid free tissue paper. Thanks Smitty!