Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Relic M1917 Repaint/Restoration help

Article about: Hello, I got this relic M1917 helmet, the other day for 30 dollars at a local antique/junk shop , and was curious if anyone knows who the maker of this heat stamp is, UC 305. Unfortunately I

Default Relic M1917 Repaint/Restoration help

Hello,

I got this relic M1917 helmet, the other day for 30 dollars at a local antique/junk shop , and was curious if anyone knows who the maker of this heat stamp is, UC 305. Unfortunately I forgot to take before photos. When I got the helmet it had 0% original finish left and was covered in moderate rust with a few spots of deep pitting in side and out. Normally I don’t restore antique militaria, but this was just going to rust away over time, and was far gone enough where I felt preserving it outweighed the risk of ruining its value as an un-touched original. I chemically removed the rust down to bare metal. I painted it with what I had on hand to prevent new rust from forming. I will add reproduction liner (as I heard the originals contain asbestos). As I mentioned, if anyone recognizes this heat stamp, and, particularly, if anyone knows what is the best paint/color to use, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you!Relic M1917 Repaint/Restoration helpRelic M1917 Repaint/Restoration helpRelic M1917 Repaint/Restoration help

Hi Chris, the mark is cold stamped during casing formation and shows a steel batch and shipment number intended to identify the quality of the steel and the shipment of the batches. I don't think it represents a specific manufacturer. All the best. Excuse my English.

Greetings Chris,

Two weeks back, I had a similar helmet shell and restored it for use in an exhibit where we use minimal original historical objects due to security issues. I used IMA's Paint see here Spray Paint - U.S. WWI Helmet Green Brown Acrylic Enamel Spray Paint – International Military Antiques and was very happy with its color matching that of a mint original helmet. No, I did not attempt to use sawdust in this application (to replicate an original's rough finish). Unfortunately, with shipping the paint cost me around the price of your helmet, but aside from the paint's cost, it did the job I needed it to do.

On the UC company's code, I cannot assist as it is one of the listed, but unknown codes.

Good Luck,

V/r Lance