Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?

Article about: Another of my recent acquisitions - a Royal Navy peaked cap. I know nothing about these caps, and so to me the construction seemed rather unusual. There is no padding as such to the cap - ap

Default Royal Navy cap ... WW1?

Another of my recent acquisitions - a Royal Navy peaked cap. I know nothing about these caps, and so to me the construction seemed rather unusual. There is no padding as such to the cap - apart from the area immediately behind the badge. The blue cover is completely removable, which then just leaves the peak and cap band. The band is stiffened with a strip of hessian-type material and further strengthened with a wicker frame. The leather sweat band was completely detached when I received it, but I have since stitched it back in place. I am told that it is of WW1 vintage. But to be honest I've not got a clue! Can anyone help? Click to enlarge

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?

A nice cap, but the form of the badge does not appear to match those from the WWI period, though until I can check I might be wrong, but from a brief comparison with a WWII example I own this is a close match. On the earlier examples the wreath is slightly different as far as I can remember. either way, an interesting example.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I think the best bit to be the cockade actually Jerry . The smaller, more compact wreath compared to 40s era ones marks it as early 20th C. I somehow feel the cap itself isn't Navy . From the side the peak looks too large and the interior sweatband and lining very strange for Navy. Often the linings are a dark blue silk with concentric striched rings reinforcing it. ive never encountered this style. so wonder it may be police or a civilian shipping company type . Good cockade for WW1 though .

And no sign of buttons or chinstrap. I'll happily defer to you on this Rob, nic early cockade then, nut a duff cap. I'll get my coat.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the thoughts gents. As I say, I know nothing about naval caps. But in defence of the cap, I should point out that when the band to which the badge is fixed is pulled back, the material of the cap behind is of a much darker colour than the rest of the cap. This would suggest to me that cap and band have been together for a very long time - even if the cap isn't of Royal Navy origin.

Cheers,
    Steve.

However that could have been in a fancy dress shop on display in the sunshine or used as theatre wear . The cockade would be worth £40-60 . Im 90% sure the RN were conservative in their use of caps , all interiors very similar ,not perforated sweatbands for instance. im no RN expert ,but I do make a point of seeking out these caps as they tend to go rather well to overseas on ebay whereas here in the Uk they are less popular than Army or Airforce. The strap and buttons are not easy to locate on their own so may account for their absence .

Oh my god... another duff purchase!

Im with Rob, doesn't fit the usual M.O....may have even have been a retirement cap, i have seen one example of a 20s era cap with all the insignia just transferred onto it as the old hat was a bit ratty..But it could be anything.

A few more pictures of the cap. And as I said in the original posting, the construction does seem rather unusual! There are two button holes (one torn) in the cover to go over the buttons which presumably were once on the frame of the cap.

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?

Steve i think the cap may be US made, i just found this described as a US navy overseas/garrison cap!...

Royal Navy cap ... WW1?Royal Navy cap ... WW1?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast