Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Navy WW1 Trio

Article about: Hi all, My first Pip, Squeak and Wilfred trio. Following on from picking up a 1914 and a 1914-15 star I then set about finding a nice trio for a reasonable price. These are named to a 275057

Default Royal Navy WW1 Trio

Hi all,

My first Pip, Squeak and Wilfred trio. Following on from picking up a 1914 and a 1914-15 star I then set about finding a nice trio for a reasonable price.

These are named to a 275057 Stoker 1st Class E. Goss (Although the war medal has been misspelled as E. Gorss the service number is the same). Stoker Edward Goss was born in Cornwall on 24th September 1871 and from what I can find joined the Royal Navy in 1894. Goss served on multiple ships and during WW1 served aboard HMS Monarch from 1915-1919.

HMS Monarch being an Orian Class Dreadnaught battleship that was at the Battle of Jutland.

I hope you all enjoy these ones,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Navy WW1 Trio   Royal Navy WW1 Trio  

Royal Navy WW1 Trio   Royal Navy WW1 Trio  

Last edited by Steelhead10; 03-25-2024 at 08:31 PM.

?

Hi Matt, nice set of medals, this sailor was on numerous ships. Lucky to have survived the battle of Jutland.
    Jack

Nice trio.

They look as if they were at one time mounted on a bar for wear. It looks to me as if it was one of the common "home made types rather than the factory made brooches. These were most often a simple quite thick piece of rectangular brass bar with a brooch pin brazed or more usually soldered to the back with the ribbons just folded over the bar and stitched together. I have an example somewhere but it's not where I thought it was so I'll have to add it when I find it.

The practice did continue for some years with homemade ribbon brooches made from thinner metal not required to support the weight of the medals so I attach a picture of one of those. Factory made medal and ribbon bars are almost exclusively the norm these days with most medals being "Court mounted".

Regards

Mark
    Royal Navy WW1 Trio
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you both for your replies.

Mark, I hadn't noted that the ribbons appear to have once been on a bar. I'm surprised there's no Long Service Medal.

Matt
    Last edited by Steelhead10; 03-25-2024 at 08:01 PM.

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Thanks for boh your replies.

Mark, I hadn't noted that the ribbons appear to have once been on a bar. I'm surprised there's no Long Service Medal.

Matt
    Hi Matt,

If this sailor had fallen foul of the "Captains table" (actually not a dinner invitation but the equivalent of what the Army call CO's Orders there wouldn't be one because it is not just a long service medal but The Long Service and Good Conduct (LS&GC) Medal. The qualifying period was at that time I believe 22 years so with his length of service he would appear to have been within the bracket but any relevant misdemeanour would have had to have been within his first three years of service (give or take actual dates). The Naval LS&GC has always been much more complicated than the Army and Airforce equivalents with several different medals for the different branches of the service. For instance my great grandfather served in RN during WWI and has a trio then he served in the RFR in WWII so has the War and Defence medals plus RFR LS&GC which covers his RN service so work that out if you can! He also has a DSM but that's another tale

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-25-2024 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."