Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The same helmet? How is it possible?

Article about: Hello to everyone, While searching for information about Solberg M17 steel helmets (see previous post), I came across two websites with pictures of such a helmet. The first is a dealer who h

?

Default The same helmet? How is it possible?

Hello to everyone,

While searching for information about Solberg M17 steel helmets (see previous post), I came across two websites with pictures of such a helmet. The first is a dealer who has already sold the helmet. The website for the second helmet states that her helmet was in a collection for 20 years and was acquired by a German museum.

But when I look at the pictures of the helmets in detail, I come to the conclusion that it is one and the same helmet. However, it looks completely different in the pictures. While the helmet from the dealer who sold it appears quite light in color and has scratches all over it, on the other website it looks darker and has significantly fewer scratches. However, some scratches and rust spots are identical.

Now I'm wondering how this can be?

If it had been painted over, all the scratches and rust marks would have disappeared, but even a spot where something ran down the helmet can be seen on both websites. I also thought about whether it was the camera or the light, but then a few minor scratches wouldn't still be visible while many others had disappeared.

Could this have something to do with a museum buying it (according to the second website)? Anyone have any idea how this can be?

I hope the helmet experts and museum staff from our forum can shed some light on this with their extensive knowledge and explain to me how something like this can be. Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Wolf

PS: At the end follows a comparison of the two helmets on which I have marked the matches on the front.

Here the first helmet (sold)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The same helmet? How is it possible?   The same helmet? How is it possible?  

The same helmet? How is it possible?   The same helmet? How is it possible?  

The same helmet? How is it possible?  

?

Here is the second helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The same helmet? How is it possible?   The same helmet? How is it possible?  

?

Comparison

MAP
    ?

These are the same helmets to me.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks MAP, that was my thought too.

Do you have any idea why there are hardly any scratches on the photos on one website and so many on the other? Do you think they treated the helmet somehow in the meantime?

?

It appears to be a largely lighting-related matter; The sold helmet in artificial light, versus the museum helmet in natural light. There doesn’t seem to be any ‘treatment’, such as renwax.

Certainly an interesting comparison - and highlights how deceptive photographs can sometimes be (though not necessarily intentionally) - I would be more inclined to buy the ‘museum’ helmet, than the abused-looking ‘sold’ example!

?

Thanks for the explanation Kohima. I'm really surprised that light can have such a powerful influence.

Do you happen to be familiar with these Solberg M17 helmets, or anyone else?
    I was actually looking for reference material when I saw these pictures. Is this helmet genuine and all in its original WW1 condition, or has something been done to it?

If everything is genuine and original, I would use it as a reference.

Thanks again for the efforts.
    Wolf

?

I cannot help you with regard to originality, I’m afraid, but it seems pretty honest to my untrained eye. The helmet aficionados will be along soon!