Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Self awarded 14/15 Star medal

Article about: I picked this one up today, knowing it was erased and renamed but it was very cheap for a Star medal and still had an original ribbon on it. Obviously and badly renamed to Cpl. Victor H. Phi

Default Self awarded 14/15 Star medal

I picked this one up today, knowing it was erased and renamed but it was very cheap for a Star medal and still had an original ribbon on it.

Obviously and badly renamed to Cpl. Victor H. Phillips 856 Royal Engineers, you can still see a full stop from the original naming.

I at first failed to find him on ancestry but after some help on his MIC I found his medal roll. Both only show entitlement to the BWM & VM, no star, so either he awarded it to himself or a family member assumed it was missing and added it.

an interesting addition to my great war medals.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Self awarded 14/15 Star medal   Self awarded 14/15 Star medal  

Self awarded 14/15 Star medal  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

That's a good one Jerry, unusual to see a self awarded medal but the War Department will not be amused, anyway where's his missing VC! Leon.

Leon,

I'll keep an eye out for his VC!

Maybe he thought he DESERVED the Star, or his family in error after his death assumed that all WWI Vets were awarded a Trio.

I wonder if under X ray or after application of certain chemicals it would be possible to read the original name?
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, the star certainly has the age patina of an un-altered one so my guess would be that he felt entitled to it himself. Maybe he enlisted in 1914-15 but was not at that time sent overseas, so did not "officially" qualify for the star? Just a guess really but it makes an interesting talking point to this group. Leon.

How interesting!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The original volunteers of the Accrington Pals who signed on in 1914 were cheated out of the 1914/15 star by Churchill. They departed Devonport on board the SS Ionic on 19th December 1915. The ship was attacked by a U Boat on 31st 1915, but fortunately the torpedo missed. Churchill claimed they were not in hostile waters and denied them their star. All the men on board were volunteers, and the award of the 14/15 star was all that would have set them apart from the later conscripts when wearing medals on parade. No wonder they were angry about this! Maybe Cpl Phillips felt the same!

I know how they felt.we in the ambulance service were cheated out of the Queens silver jubilee medal.there were only a couple issued to each county and a name was picked out of a hat,in my service a women from the control room got it,she had never been out in the blood and guts.got that off my chest.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I know how they felt.we in the ambulance service were cheated out of the Queens silver jubilee medal.there were only a couple issued to each county and a name was picked out of a hat,in my service a women from the control room got it,she had never been out in the blood and guts.got that off my chest.
    Not wishing to hi-jack Jerry's thread, but how do you think we former servicemen felt when the government denied all ex servicemen the golden jubilee medal, but gave it to plastic policemen? We were told to buy one if we wanted one. I'm sure some did. But I would never wear anything that the government didn't think I was entitled to. The British government have always been mean to their servicemen and ex-servicemen.

I can well understand any bitterness felt by any who were denied their just dues, especially in the case of military service personnel who at any time were called upon to put their lives on the line for those who have so often forgotten them as soon as they were no longer needed.
    Regards,

Jerry