Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Spanish-American War Era Photo Pin, 24th Infantry, D Company

Article about: Just wanted to share one of the things I picked up this weekend. I apologize for posting this in the WWI section, but I figured this was the closest time period. (On a side-note, has the for

Default Spanish-American War Era Photo Pin, 24th Infantry, D Company

Just wanted to share one of the things I picked up this weekend. I apologize for posting this in the WWI section, but I figured this was the closest time period. (On a side-note, has the forum considered having a catch-all Pre-WWI military section ?)

I found it at our monthly "trade days." It looks to be a Spanish-American War/Philippine-American War era Sweetheart Photo Pin. It's about the size of a quarter. It's hard to see on the photo I took, but easier to see in real life, that the young man's cap badge is the crossed rifles 24th Infantry, D Company.

What little research I've done on it today tells me that the 24th Infantry was predominately an African-American group. With that in mind, I would imagine this young man was a Caucasian officer (?). They had a storied history: founded in 1869 and made up of mainly freedmen, they served along the American frontier against Native Americans and various railroad bandits; participated in the Spanish-American War at the battles of El Caney and San Juan Hill; went to the Philippine-American War in 1899, then went back in 1905 and 1911; and protected the US at the Mexican border, then participated in the Punitive Expedition with Pershing down in Mexico against Pancho Villa. I would think that's about as much as this guy might have seen. However, 150 men from the 24th were responsible for the 1917 Houston Riots. The group continued in WWII in the South Pacific, occupied Okinawa post-war, and was in the first half of the Korean War. Evidently, there was heavy casualties during that war and the group was dissolved in 1951, but was reformed in 1995 through 2006.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated, especially if you've got any additional information to share. Thank you!

-Robyn

?

Very nice little pin and great job on the research . Gary