Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tracing a French officer’s tunic - help appreciated!

Article about: Good day, gentlemen. I acquired a lovely French Officers Mle.1913 Vareuse, and would very much appreciate any and all help with tracing the service of its owner. It came to me with the insig

?

Ooh, interesting!
    I’ve never heard of the sabre ribbon.. (I tend not to pay much attention to weaponry - they’re just accessories to the uniform for me )!

I have only ever seen the plain black and crossed flag versions of the band..
    I’ll certainly be looking out for the numbered version, though it seems a little ‘tasteless’ to me.. rather like ‘showing off’ or keeping score.

There is some photographic evidence to support their wear in the frontlines (notably by Jean Brunon, of the Artillerie (with crossed flags for his brother, Raoul)), though as you say, very infrequent.

Cheers mate,
    Rob

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reference
    Here is a link to see this specific configuration
    jean brunon raoul - Bing

I feel it should be an exception. The Brunon family was coming from the "bourgeoisie" and could afford such element most other would not.
    Appart of this, they created a wonderful military museum on the Imperial Army.

Bruno

?

They did, indeed, Bruno!

I have to say, I have only seen wartime images of Jean Brunon wearing an embroidered example, the majority being plain black (rouched or flat) types.
    The description of a family member in service is drawn from the Mirouze & Dekerle books, though I seriously suspect your interpretation is the correct one (I’m still not sure about the numbered version though ).
    I am still curious as to the duration of wear by an individual, the official mourning period. It was, of course, a voluntary thing to wear one in the first place.

Many thanks for your insights,
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2