Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.

Article about: Greetings all, This will be a closed thread to act as a quick reference guide to originals. If you are looking at getting into collecting these and wish to compare a possible reproduction wi

Default WWII use of the U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

Yes, I’m quite aware this is a WWI thread… but I thought it would be best to add these contemporary WWII shots of the U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife being worn here, so that this thread is a one stop shop for those interested in these style knives. There are no known (Read: Published) WWI contemporary shots with these knives being worn, except for the post-war (Circa 1919) occupation USMC’s shot at the start of this thread. Most (but not all) of these knives are shown being carried by Paratroopers. All credit to the original posters of these photos, from various websites on the WWW.

Njoy,

Lance

Double click on pictures to enlarge.

The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.
    The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.

Default Some WWII variants.

Greetings all,

Here is a selection of modified L. F. & C. knuckles. As you can see they come in a variety of shapes and sizes based upon their users’/owners’ preferences.

These hilt's modified knives are typically referred to as the “airborne modification,” however plenty of dirty nasty “legs” carried modified (& unmodified) knuckle knives too.

I suspect, with the premium prices garnered for airborne force’s equipage, it is only natural for sellers to emphasize these knives’ ties to paratroopers versus non-airborne soldiers.

These knives are a royal pain to carry with an unmodified handle, they tend to dig into your sides (the round hilt) when you get prone and an unmodified knife (if not worn high) will beat your sides in on a foot march (as it flops around). Of course you could tie it down to your leg ala "gunslinger" mode, but too, that’s a great way to cut down on your leg’s blood circulation (if done for any significant period of time). As an aside, it is extremely rare to view seasoned troops with M1916 holsters or later WWII M6/M8 scabbards actually tied down (even though they were issued with leather thongs for that purpose).

Whatever the background of the knives in question, they are another group of variants to collect;-)

V/r Lance

Last edited by MilitariaOne; 07-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Default Posted for a friend who collects Star War's memorabilia.

Just for fun.

Default A minty trio to wish you all a Happy New Years!

Greetings and a Happy New Year's wishes to you all!

Wished to share a mint trio of the three American makers of these knives. Topmost was manufactured by Landers Frary & Clark, middle by Henry Disston & Sons and the bottom knife by Oneida Community Limited. In the contract's write up, these trench knives were specified to come with a blackened finish. However, when issued or simply carried, this finish wears off quickly revealing the bronze underneath. As such, knives with their blackened finishes intact are hard to come by. Add the rarity factor of the middle and bottom knives manufactures' low numbers made and you have something quite rare.

The French made Au Lions did not come with a blackened finish yet, there are rumors of some that did. Personally, I have never viewed a blackened Au Lion that I believed was genuine.

Happy New Years to all on this forum!!!

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

Double click image to enlarge.

Last edited by MilitariaOne; 01-01-2021 at 12:24 AM.

Great post Lance, and Happy New Year!

Default The 100 Years’ anniversary of the Seattle Tent & Awning Company’s Christmas Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

Timing-wise, I thought it would be appropriate to share this Christmas’ themed post as this month is 100-years' anniversary since this “aftermarket” Mark I Trench Knife variant’s creation. In 1923, the Seattle Tent & Awning Company (S.T.&A.) purchased a quantity of Mark I Trench Knives, which were manufactured by the firm of Landers, Frary, & Clark of New Britain, Connecticut. Then, the S.T.&A. Company had these knives engraved with their company’s logo on the knives’ bronze handles. Once engraved, the knives were mailed as gifts to S.T.&A. Company’s best customers along with the following (see below) tongue-in-cheek letter.

At the time, some of S.T.&A. Company’s customers who received these knives as a Christmas present did not initially realize they were a friendly gift. See below, this December 21, 1923, a period article from the Albany Evening Herald. What’s nice about this article is it demonstrates conclusively (Read: contemporarily) that these knives were gifted during the 1923 Christmas Holiday by the S.T.&A. Company.

I have not viewed any period documentation or primary source(s) indicating how many of these knives were purchased by and engraved for the S.T.&A. Company (though, on one forum’s related post <125 is shared without scholarly authority). In 1923, Mark I Trench knives were not yet considered surplus to requirements by the US War Dept (however, by 1923, the wooden handled M-1917s & M-1918 Trench Knives were declared surplus and were widely available on the national surplus’ market).

The S.T.&A. Company may have purchased these knives directly from L.F.&C.’s leftover stocks or possibly as surplus from Fort Lewis (Camp Lewis in 1923). In 1924, Camp Lewis did sell 35,000 surplus Gas Mask Bags to the S.T.&A. Company (see below article from the Coulee City Dispatch Feb 15, 1924). As such, perhaps in 1923, Camp Lewis may have been authorized to dispose of (i.e. locally sell/surplus) held stocks of Mark I Trench Knives as that may have been a decision approved/authorized by the garrison’s commander. Why may have Camp Lewis (located on the West Coast of the USA) possessed any stocks of these knives would be anyone’s guess. In any case, where these S.T.&A. engraved and L.F.&C. branded, knives were originally sourced remains unclear.

Returning to the engraved S.T.&A. Company’s knives themselves; there are two styles, which may be encountered by collectors. The primary difference of these variants being the depth and width of the S.T.&A Company logo’s engraving found on the knives’ handle. Granted, one may be contemporary to 1923 and the other may be a later creation (i.e. a reproduction), but which variant is which remains beyond this humble post’s scope to conclusively determine.

One variant (Thin-lettering), which possesses noticeably thinner engraving’s width/depth is of the kind listed on page #29 of M. H. Cole’s US Military Knives Bayonets & Machete Book IV (1991) and too, that exact knife may be viewed here Lot Detail - U.S. MODEL 1918 L.F. & C KNUCKLE KNIFE WITH SEATTLE TENT & AWNING ADVERTISING.. In his aforementioned tome, M.H. Cole comments “Brass handle & knucks darkened. The gold engraved lettering was deeply cut.” IMHO, the “gold” as indicated by M.H. Cole, is simply the brighter bronze of the handle peeking out from under the darkened finish, which was removed during the engraving. Despite M.H. Cole’s assertion of “deeply cut” this variant is not as deeply (or widely) cut as the second variant.

The second variant (Thick-lettering) as noted, differs in the amount of material, which was removed during the engraving’s process. An example of this deeper/wider engraved variant may be viewed here M1918 Knuckle Knife Seattle Tent & Awning Co. Value? - EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum

The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.The U.S. M1918 Mk. I Trench Knife Thread.

When viewed separately the difference between the thick and thin engraved variants is subtle though, when viewed together there is an easily noticed difference. Granted, the S.T.&A. Company may have contracted services from more than one engraver to expedite their Christmas gifts’ delivery hence the differences or too, it may very well be one variant is period original and the other is not. It would be easy to postulate that the thinner engraved version is the original/contemporarily produced variant as the example shared in M.H. Cole’s book has (assuming the knife and letter were inseparably paired together) retained its original accompanying S.T.&A’s 1923 Christmas letter. Easy to postulate yes, a conclusive answer, no.

In any case, on this unique knife’s 100 years’ anniversary I believe, it is worthy of a remembrance post and it’s the perfect segue, to wish all this forum’s members a Merry Christmas/Happy New Year. Can you imagine a company giving something like this away today.

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

P.S. If anyone possesses any definitive indication of how many of these engraved/advertising knives were commissioned by the Seattle Tent & Awning Company or similar details as to which variant is period correct, please feel free to create a post about it or too, kindly PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2