Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

World War One Field Message Book named to Somme Casualty

Article about: I bought this rather nice Field Message book this morning for £4. I was leafing through the many diagrams and notes inside and kept coming across the name of a Lt AFC Paxton of the Middlesex

Default World War One Field Message Book named to Somme Casualty

I bought this rather nice Field Message book this morning for £4. I was leafing through the many diagrams and notes inside and kept coming across the name of a Lt AFC Paxton of the Middlesex Regiment. A quick google search brought up a wealth of information on him from his old school's website (Archie Paxton and The Somme). Sadly he died on 1st July 1916 at the Somme, the last dated diagram in the book is 18th May 1916.
    World War One Field Message Book named to Somme CasualtyWorld War One Field Message Book named to Somme CasualtyWorld War One Field Message Book named to Somme CasualtyWorld War One Field Message Book named to Somme CasualtyWorld War One Field Message Book named to Somme Casualty
    I must confess that although part of me is hugely excited to have found this piece for my collection and its fascinating history, there is a great feeling of sadness when I read his story and how young he was when he was killed. Its objects like this that remind me why we collect...

Thanks

Ed

Quote by Warspite View Post
    ... I must confess that although part of me is hugely excited to have found this piece for my collection and its fascinating history, there is a great feeling of sadness when I read his story and how young he was when he was killed. Its objects like this that remind me why we collect... Ed

That's so true. Great document and comtemporay witness.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

terrific buy/find.