Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British Shell Casing Identification

Article about: Hi all, I have two First Word War ammunition cases both identical, they are British made, manufacturer stamped RL for Royal Laboratories, Woolwich Arsenal and stamped CF which means the char

Default WW1 British Shell Casing Identification

Hi all, I have two First Word War ammunition cases both identical, they are British made, manufacturer stamped RL for Royal Laboratories, Woolwich Arsenal and stamped CF which means the charge was loaded with cordite and they are both dated 1918, however I am having some difficulty finding out which gun they are for, they are stamped 1 1/2 PR MK III GUN.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Harry

WW1 British Shell Casing IdentificationWW1 British Shell Casing Identification

Any ideas guys?

Hi. I'm pretty sure that the 1.5 pdr was a type of pom - pom gun used by the Royal Navy, although I think it was largely superseded by the 2 pdr in WW1, they must have still used the 1.5s as well I guess.

You might try asking on the BOCN (British Ordnance Collectors Network), someone on there might be able to nail it down a bit better.

Cheers.

Hi harry nice find!,
    spitace is correct (as always) the QF 1.5-pdr Mark I, was a pom pom gun, but as far as im aware it never entered full service, being replaced by the 2 pdr.
    I think they trialed it on HMS undaunted? so it may have stayed in use on her?

anyway hope someone with more knowledge chimes in as i'd like to learn a little about them too!

Thanks for your time and effort, sorry for the late reply i have been busy moving for uni, i will give the British Ordnance Collectors Network a go, as the 1.5 pdr saw little service would it be right to assume these shells could be quite rare?

Many thanks

Harry

Quote by Harry Davey View Post
    Thanks for your time and effort, sorry for the late reply i have been busy moving for uni, i will give the British Ordnance Collectors Network a go, as the 1.5 pdr saw little service would it be right to assume these shells could be quite rare?
    Many thanks

Harry
    Don't really know the answer to that one harry, please post anything you find out on here as I would like to learn more about it.
    Good luck with the uni move!

Ed

Thanks, the move went well, i will post any new information i find here.

Cheers
    Harry