Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British soldier in Canadian army

Article about: Hello ! I recently went to buy a frame for a oval picture of a Canadian soldier ww1 that i have and was looking on the wall of that store (professional framing store) and my eyes caught an o

Default WW1 British soldier in Canadian army

Hello !
    I recently went to buy a frame for a oval picture of a Canadian soldier ww1 that i have and was looking on the wall of that store (professional framing store) and my eyes caught an oval picture of another ww1 soldier . For some reason my eyes kept going back to that picture and i finally asked is it for sale and she said yes a friend of her cleaned a house and found them (his wife picture too ) without a frame the store frame the pic of the soldier and at the end i did not buy a frame for my own picture i did buy the one in the store.

To my surprise behind the picture there were his name date of birth and date of death .
    Here is my finding on ancestry site ,
    Private John G.W. Lepage , born june 4th 1876, Guernsey ,Channel Island
    Married to Mrs Edith M Lepage he was a farmer moved to Burlington Ontario in 1907 enrolled in the Canadian expeditionary force june 7th 1915
    Previously served 10 years in the 2nd R.G.L.I.
    he served overseas in the 25th battalion and was killed in action on the july 13th 1916 trenches at St-Eloi
    he is buried in the cemetery Dickebusch New Military Cemetery 2 miles and 3/4 south west of Ypres Belgium

So far all i know of his is that and that his wife was a widow when she died .

I will try to research the RGLI and the 25th battalion when time permit but would appreciate some link to where to go next to find a bit more about him and his past in the military .
    Frenchy
    Private Lepage is in the middle and you can see his wife and the other side is my unknown soldier .

Default Re: WW1 British soldier in Canadian army

Hi !
    While surfing on the net i discovered that in 2010 on the e-medal site they had his medals for auction and it sold for 1000$ us now would be great if i could find the buyer and he could have a picture of the soldier as i wouldn't be able to buy the medals at that price for sure .
    Frenchy

Great coincidence!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Stuka i was shock when i saw that , now i really doubt that i will ever find the person who bought the medal and i could propose to him to reunite the photo and the medals

Frenchy

guernseyliz
    ?

The Channel Islands and The Great War

These are the details that we have on Pte Le Page. You may want to look under "War on Land" in the green menu on our website to find out more about the RGLI. I will see if I can find any more information on Le Page or the Unit he served in. For anyone visiting Guernsey there is a RGLI museum and a Militia museum inside Castle Cornet in St Peter Port.

kc1
    ?

Post your story on the British Medal Forum, chances are that either the purchaser visits the site or someone there will know who it is, good luck.
    If he had prior 10 years service that may well have taken in the South African war which with his WW1 medals would explain the high price, although RGLI items are sought after. The Channel Islands are in the main a 'monied' area.

Hi Frenchy,

Private John G W Le-Page son of John and Georgina Le-Page of Guernsey, Channel Islands and Husband of Edith Mary Le-Page of Burlington Ontario.

Private 408141 John G W Le-Page 25th Battalion Novia Scotia Regiment. Buried in Grave K 33 at Dickebusch New Military Cemetery Nr Ypres.

I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hi Frenchy,

I have found the Medals awarded to John LePage, I had placed a link but it did not work so if when searching on Google you put: Private 408141 John G W LePage, emedals should be the first up.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

ps if you dont have any joy then I have saved the photographs and will gladly email them to you.

?

Were the photos ever united with the medals?