Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?

Article about: I have this ww1 doughboy helmet which I think is American. There are 3 different colors of paint on it, green, brown, and bright orange. The helmet itself is rusty but appears to be a dark c

?

Default WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?

I have this ww1 doughboy helmet which I think is American. There are 3 different colors of paint on it, green, brown, and bright orange. The helmet itself is rusty but appears to be a dark color. (colors are a lot more saturated/vibrant than they appear in photos)

Im wondering if this may be some sort of a haggard camo job from the war. All 3 colors appear to have been there for quite some time.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?   WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?  

WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?   WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?  

WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?   WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?  

No expert on camouflages, but it seems strange to me that there is orange paint inside of the helmet where the liner used to be as well as on the outer shell. It wouldn't have been a productive act to apply camo underneath the liner. I can say with some confidence that the "orange" paint was applied post-war.

MAP
    ?

It is a US WW1 "Brodie" helmet.

But putting bright orange in a camo pattern would be like putting a target on your chest. I know I put on my bright orange vest when I (used to) go out hunting.

IMHO, at some point, someone painted this orange post war for some unknown reason. Crossing Guard?

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello all,

It is my understanding that a few US units experimented with camouflage and helmets. With some of these helmets the intent
    was to find a camo that would work well at dusk and dawn. Picture a torn battlefield, void of any living foliage, with a
    beautiful sunset to the rear, a horizon full of brilliant gold and crimson hues. In my opinion scenery like this could cause
    a combatant to be creative. Here is a helmet from my collection, with a wartime applied camo paint job. Seven different colors were used including red, gold, bright orange and bright blue-green. Although i could not create a scenario like i described
    above, i was able to photo the helmet in a natural setting. IMO the helmet did a good job of blending with its surroundings.
    One thing i know to be a fact is that a helmet with a funky paint job can't hide from a blind piece of shrapnel!

Take care, Mart

WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?WW1 doughboy helmet with paint. Camo or not?

MAP
    ?

Nice Mart. Still I don't see it in this lid. There is just TOO much orange in my view. The orange in your example (which btw is great and let me know when you don't have room any more for it) is a supporting color used to break up the other colors.

I could be horribly wrong and happy to stand corrected.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael

I agree with your assessment 100%.

mart

MAP
    ?

Quote by Martin C View Post
    Michael

I agree with your assessment 100%.

mart
    that you don't have room for your lid and you need to send it to me? Great!!! Shall I send you my address?

Michael

As far as my view on the other helmet. It's based on gut, not experience.

i read this while drinking rootbeer. Have you ever drank rootbeer and laughed so hard that you almost peed your pants all at the same time?

Mart

MAP
    ?

Glad I could make your day Mart! Be glad it wasn't a glass of expensive scotch!