Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Era Letter and Postcard Written by Canadian Soldier Months Before he Would be Killed in Action During the Battle of the Somme.

Article about: This letter was written by a Thomas Nesbit Simpson. He was born on August 16th 1890 in Northfield (present day Nanaimo), British Columbia. He would go on to serve with the 5th Canadian Infan

Default WW1 Era Letter and Postcard Written by Canadian Soldier Months Before he Would be Killed in Action During the Battle of the Somme.

WW1 Era Letter and Postcard Written by Canadian Soldier Months Before he Would be Killed in Action During the Battle of the Somme.
    This letter was written by a Thomas Nesbit Simpson. He was born on August 16th 1890 in Northfield (present day Nanaimo), British Columbia. He would go on to serve with the 5th Canadian Infantry Battalion, 1st Canadian Division. About a month before writing the letter, Thomas was personally congratulated for his conduct in the field by General Sir Douglas Haig. At the time of writing the letter, Thomas was near Ypres, Belgium. The letter reads:

“ May 5th 1916

My dear Mother;

Just a line in answer to your most welcome letters at hand today. I am sure you need not worry about my not receiving yours for each time the Canadian mail comes in there are two or three letters from home and always one or two from you. There might be a slight delay but I am sure I never fail to get them and also any other letters that are sent to me.

I am more pleased than I can say to receive those photos of the little ones and think they are just about as good as can be and as long as I can write to you even should I not mention it, you will know that I am well. As for Mabel, do not allow yourself to entertain too great hopes for our future for it is very vague to me and of course no matter what hopes I may have, we cannot get away from the present grim realities.

I received a splendid letter from father, two from you, one from Bill and one from Janet and Joe to say nothing of my friends at home. So you see, there is not very much wrong with my mail.

The children are growing fast and will soon go the way of the rest of us being of a roaming nature we are pretty hard to hold in one place but you may be sure that I am having enough and would be glad of an opportunity to settle down. We are enjoying excellent weather here just now, although it is rather noisy in this neighborhood.

Give my love to the children mother and tell the little ones that brother sure thinks they look splendid in the photos. I am sure there is no more that I can say just now but will write again soon. For the present I remain your ever loving son,

T.N. Simpson “.

2 months later in July, Thomas would send a postcard to his family letting them know he was fine.

In August, Thomas would be awarded the Military Medal for Bravery in the field, recommended by General Sir Julian Byng.

1 month later in September, Thomas was Participating in the Battle of the Somme. He was fighting near Courcelette and would unfortunately be killed in action on September 26th 1916 while attacking a German Trench during the Battle of Thiepval Ridge. He was 26. Thomas is buried in the Courcelette British Cemetery in Somme, France.

Hi JB.

A very interesting and poignant post, thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

My pleasure.

Good day,
    JB