WW1 Era Letter Written by AEF Serviceman. He writes about seeing Air Battles, and other interesting topics.
This letter was written by a Lt. Walter I. Sturman. He was born on December 28th 1883 in Missouri. During the war, he served in the 340th Machine Gun Battalion within the 89th Infantry Division. The Division would take part in the battles of St. Mihiel and the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. The letter reads:

“ France, August 27th 1918,

Dr. U. S Mullins
Atlantic, Iowa,

Dear Doctor, and family:

Your card dated 7/21/18 just received and even a postcard is welcome over here. As you see, it takes mail just about one month to reach us and about the same time going back.

Of course I can give you no information as to where we are, what we are doing etc. as that would come under military information. However, do not think it wrong to say that I have seen a couple thrilling air battles, know the meaning of a whiz-bang, have smelled gas (as I am the Bn. gas officer) and have looked across “No Man’s Land”.

It is truly a wonderful game and I would not be out of it for anything. Really I am having the time of my young life. Have even been to gay Paris and that place is just about as gay as ever.

They really have beautiful weather over here, warm and sunny during the day and cool at nights.

The owner of the house I am billeted in claims it is over 400 years old and I believe her. Believe I wrote you that there are no farm houses in France, as they are all grouped in small villages a few miles apart.

All buildings are of stone and are made to house the family, cows, horses, hogs, chickens, hay etc. all under one roof, and they all go in the front door. So you can imagine the sanitary conditions under which they live.

Our Bn. is motorized and my job as mess officer, administrative officer, Co. supply officer and Bn. Gas officer keeps me going most of the time and it seems that I spend a great deal of my time in a car.

I am in the very best of health, as are all the men, and positively have no complaints to make at all. We get plenty of American candy and tobacco even cheaper than could be bought in the States.

The Y.M.C.A. is doing wonderful work, and the Salvation Army have their huts as close to the front as they are allowed to go. Am always glad to hear from you.

Kindly remember me to all, and with best wishes to yourself,

I remain.
Sincerely,
Walt Sturman. “

Walter would survive the war and return home. He would pass away on March 1st 1952. He is buried in the Mount Moriah Cemetery in Kansas City, Missouri.
WW1 Era Letter Written by AEF Serviceman. He writes about seeing Air Battles, and other interesting topics.