Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Era Letter Written By AEF Soldier in France. He speaks of witnessing a Dogfight in the Clouds and more. Lots of interesting content!

Article about: This letter was written by a Brain Montague. He was born on March 26th 1892 in Texas. He would enlist into the military on November 27th 1917 and would serve in the 1st Coprs Artillery Park.

Default WW1 Era Letter Written By AEF Soldier in France. He speaks of witnessing a Dogfight in the Clouds and more. Lots of interesting content!

WW1 Era Letter Written By AEF Soldier in France. He speaks of witnessing a Dogfight in the Clouds and more. Lots of interesting content!
    This letter was written by a Brain Montague. He was born on March 26th 1892 in Texas. He would enlist into the military on November 27th 1917 and would serve in the 1st Coprs Artillery Park. The letter reads:

“France - 7/31/18

My dear Lura:-

Don’t think that I am attempting to monopolize all your time by writing two days in succession, but I always feel so good when I sit down to write to you. That I am seizing the next opportunity offered for another little chat with you. I don’t know how long I may be allowed to sit here, but trust sufficient length to enjoy you awhile all to myself.

Last night I received your letter of June 25th, so naturally I was made quite happy. Besides, I had a very long letter from Vie and one from home. I am enclosing one which I received a day or two ago from mama, directed to camp Merritt, which is a very fair example of the mother I have. I wonder how many fellows are so fortunate as I am, to feel every day that behind them in their efforts is that great invisible…

*next page*

force, an indescribable feeling- the inspiration conceived and factored by the love, trust and confidence surrendered to me and have for me by the girl of my choice and my mother. It is indeed a most remarkable and most fortunate lot which is mine, and for the life of me I can’t see why I should be so fortunate.

Nevertheless, I hope I feel the gratitude proper, for I wouldn’t trade places with the proudest monarch that ever commanded the homage of his subjects. No one can fathom the depth of feeling as the thrill which warms my body when my girl writes me of her love, confidence and trust. With the help of that same great spirit who…

*next page*

destined me to find “her”, and to whom she and my wonderful mother petition for the safety and preservation of so prodigal a one, I trust that love, confidence and trust will never, never be disappointed. I really believe, were that the case, my own remorse and stricken consciousness would be equally as painful and distressing, as misplaced affection. What I have even through I proposed to keep, and “little” seeks the cost.

We have spent some rather eventful days of late. Eventful to us, as rookies. A few shells have been directed over my particular ammunition dump, but aside from a somewhat uneasy feeling, which I am proud to confess having felt, no damage was done there.

*next page*

Then yesterday, not half an hour after I finished my letter to you, I was extremely fortunate to witness a most thrilling air battle. It was indeed a battle above the clouds, for sometime, for the aeroplanes could not be seen, but the rattle of machine guns was incessant so we knew they were still there. All of a sudden, the planes dashed out of the clouds directly above us - one Boche and three Americans. I could see the Huns propeller had stopped (it had been shot) and that he was falling. He retained perfect control of his machine and brought it down, just over a ridge, about a mile off. The Capt. was asleep, so I rushed in, woke him up, and over the hill we went, but too late for anything. For the wily Fritz…

*next page*

as soon as he landed, leaped out and set fire to the plane, and up she went in smoke. He was reported to us, by a Frenchman, as one of Germanys most famous “aces”. He had been taking photos of our dump, but the son of a gun will never get back with them now.

About two P.M. I was loading ammunition, when we heard another battle upstairs. Two or three Americans ran a Boche into a cloud, and started their Machine guns on him, and an anti aircraft gun took part in the game. It lasted about half an hour, but I think the Fritz made his getaway in the cloud.

Later in the evening I encountered the most unfortunate experience of the day - and in fact the most unfortunate we have yet had. I went…

*next page*

up to a dump a few miles farther on, operated by Lt. Jones, and found Fritz had evidently found the range for he was throwing shells over pretty well, and struck a truck which our men were unloading, wounding six of our men, one pretty severely and killed the French driver. The truck burned up, and set quite a number of shells afire, but fortunately no other damage was done, so our company has the unhappy distinction of suffering the first casualties in the regiment. “C’est la guerre”. When I returned I found your letter, so my spirits were quite revived.

By the way, I also received a letter from a young lady - presumably young lady - from Karnes city - Texas, telling me…

*next page*

that a friend had received a folder of past card views from N.Y. , and within was found a letter from me, to mama. How in the world, that letter ever got there I can’t imagine. Unless in the post office at camp meritt. This girl had a naive way of presuming it was my mother. So to save me telling all about it, will see if I can’t enclose it here.

Just as I started this letter, the mail was brought in, and I got a letter from some “June” in La. who had seen my name on a letter which I had censored for some boy in the Co. from La. So you see if this keeps up, what a ladies man I’ll be.

A friend is just leaving and offers to take this letter down, so will close, and write again when possible. Remember I am and always will hold that love, confidence and trust- what I win I keep.

With love,
    Brian

Am enclosing a piece of canvas taken off the airship that fell.”

Brian survived the war and lived a long life. He would pass away on October 5th 1972 at the age of 80.

Hi JB.

Another really interesting letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

Brian Montague in the U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Name: Brian Montague
    Race: Caucasian (White)
    Marital Status: Single
    Birth Date: 26 Mar 1892
    Birth Place: Texas, USA
    Residence Date: 1917-1918
    Street Address: Baudera
    Residence Place: Bandera County, Texas, USA
    Physical Build: Medium
    Height: Tall
    Hair Color: Light Brown
    Eye Color: Blue

Left to right -
    Montague Men, Ascending ages. Joseph G., Lawrence, Brian, Eugene, Frank, Charles III, John V.

Fort Worth,TX-Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Kind regards,

Will.

No problem! And Thanks for the info. It’s really cool seeing all of the Montague men. I was wondering what Brian looked like. Thanks!

Good day,
    JB

Quote by Heartfeltzero View Post
    No problem! And Thanks for the info. It’s really cool seeing all of the Montague men. I was wondering what Brian looked like. Thanks!

Good day,
    JB
    My pleasure JB. It looks like Brian was a Lawyer according to a 1950s census and eventually became a district judge.