Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Era Letter Written by American member of the 305 Trench Mortar Battery.

Article about: The letter was written by a member of the 305 Trench Mortar Battery. He was in Camp Lee, VA when writing this letter. It’s dated May 16th 1918. It seems they served within the 80th infantr

Default WW1 Era Letter Written by American member of the 305 Trench Mortar Battery.

The letter was written by a member of the 305 Trench Mortar Battery. He was in Camp Lee, VA when writing this letter. It’s dated May 16th 1918. It seems they served within the 80th infantry division. I couldn’t find much info on the 305th or the person who wrote this letter. His rank was Sergeant 1st class. Any additional info is greatly appreciated. I’ve transcribed the letter below.

“Camp Lee, VA
    May 16, 1918

Dear friends:- Received your letter the other day and thought I would answer it this evening. Everything is going in about the same old way here. Preparation to whip the Kaiser on every side and I am anxious to have a hand in it. The longer a fellow is in the army, the more he catches the spirit of it. Onell it will not be long before May 30 will arrive, heralding the last day of school for you and everlasting joy to your promising youngsters. May 31 will sort of be a great day for me as that is the day we sign the payroll and get paid on the 3rd to 5th of the month. You must have had some time during graduation week. I have some faint remembrance of such affairs which I have participated in, but that has been a long time ago. Five years this spring since Slippery Rock passed into the gloom.

Tuesday evening went down to Petersburgh to a show at the academy of music. Say you should see some of the shows we see here. I have seen shows in a good many different places. But there beats anything yet. They are mostly from New York. Of course they can afford to get them here as there is such a large soldier attendance that the returns are always ample. Think that I will go over to Richmond Saturday evening. They have some very good dancers at the army and navy club. They are high class. Every girl must be chaperoned by some elderly person of a reputable character. And is mostly attended by we young officers. Of course a private is welcome except to the officers balls.

But their pay of $30 a month would not take them far in society. Also want to get a new uniform while over there, at least look for one. A uniform doesn’t look well very long and cost from $32 to $50 a suit. Also will try and get you that piece of music. Well what is new around Meadville? Suppose your people will have to start some sewing or knitting clubs for amusement as many of the girls tell me they are doing in different places. Have you attempted to run the car any so far this year? I miss the Dodge very much especially on a nice warm Sunday evening.

2nd page

As they fring to mind recollecting of by gone timer. O! For instance those borough limit experiences. Do you catch the drift? Some of the boys here have cars ranging from remodeled fords to large six cylinder cars. But many of them live near here and in case of a sudden call to leave could very easily send them home. But in my case, it would cost as much as it would be worth to send it back.

You can’t imagine how fleshy I am getting. Clothes that were quite loose last winter are so tight that I can hardly get them on any more. The fellows are all getting that way, with the exception of a few. There were three discharged from the 305 trench mortar battery where I am. Now attached on account of physical disability. Don’t know whether they will get me on some such thing as that. They are giving some pretty hard examinations now. Don’t believe I would care to be out now. Nearly all my friends are in the service and a person would feel rather out of place on the outside. But you know a fellow has to take what they give.

Have you been down to Jamestown yet this spring? Guess the old place looks rather deserted these days by what they tell me.

Am getting rather anxious to go back for a few days now. But think it will be a month or six weeks before such a thing will materialize.

Suppose exposition park will open in the near future if not already and will provide some source of amusement.

How is your father making out with the garden this spring? Fresh garden stuff is coming in around here now. But the weather is very warm most of the time here. Entirely too warm for comfort.

Received a very interesting letter from them the other day in which after telling me the happenings around there, informed me that you were engaged to be married sometime in the future and consoled me with the fact that there were just as many fish in the seas as had been caught. That seemed very interesting news. So thought I would write and find out who the luch fellow was. On any available information. As I wondered how you could abstain from saying something about such an occurrence in your letters. Did not know but what I had some faint idea of the originality of the story but did not know but that might be mistaken.

Well guess this is all I can think of. Be sure and write soon. As ever, your friend “

MAP
    ?

Great letter! thanks for posting. Love these personal insights.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I really like letters and they are underrated. A whole new side/story of the war can be found in letters.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td