WW1 Era Letter Written by American Soldier in the Trenches of France.
This letter was written by a Glenn Filbert Borg. He was born on May 1st 1896 in Minnesota. During the war, he served with the 139th infantry regiment, 35th Infantry Division. The letter reads:

“ Somewhere in France
Aug. 20, 1918

Dear brother-

I shall now pen a few lines to you as I believe it is your turn to get to hear from me. I can hardly remember whenever your turn comes but you will have to excuse me for delaying in answering you.

I was thinking just now tonight that at about Xmas time my Testing License will run out. I will no doubt get a blank to renew the license so will you please save the blank so that I can renew it later if I want to. I have been talking with a guy that is in my company that has worked for N.I. Hugger at Danube. I guess he was the one that beat me to the job at the time that Hugger advertised in the Dairy Record for a helper. He only worked for Hugger a month and then he quit him. He told of what kind of a condition that the creamery was in, just like it was in Parkers at the time he was there.

Well at last I am in the trenches and fine life, a little exciting at times. What seems to be our worst enemies are the trench rats and coodies or lice. Some of them are old enough to have a dozen or more service stripes. So we are busy at times picking over our shirts. I have not been bothered yet but it probable not long before I have to do the same. Well my news box is small so I will come to a close for this time. I am well and hope you are the same. Greetings to you all and may the Lord protect you.

Your brother
Pvt. Glenn H. Borg
Co. D. 139 U.S. Infantry
American E.F. “

Glenn would survive the war and pass away on June 14th 1964 aged 68. He is buried in the Our Saviors Lutheran Cemetery in Minnesota.