WW1 Era Letter Written by U.S. Soldier in France. “I hope peace is soon declared”.
This letter was written by a Pvt. John S. Craddock. He was born on November 18th 1891 in Pennsylvania. During the war he would serve with the 304th Field Signal Battalion within the 79th Infantry Division. The field Signal Battalions would mostly deal with communications. They would work with laying wire, telephones, buzzerphones, and pigeons. John would take part in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, (Defensive Sector/Avocourt, Troyon). The letter was written during this time. It reads:

“ France Oct. 1918

Dear Sister:

Just a line to let you know I am well and have not been hit yet but have had some close calls and our company only had one man hurt, he got shrapnel in the arm but I don’t think it was serious. I guess your prayers did me good after all for I made confession and communion at Vaux, there was a K. of C. Priest there and he used me fine for I expected to get H - but he told me nicely. You know that the Red Cross is allowed to get each man three pounds, so get me two pounds of candy and a pound of cigarettes, camels or whatever you want but we have an awful time getting candy or cigarettes you see, the Red Cross there.

One of the fellows here has a girl of brains for she takes a strip of long paper and big envelopes and sews the cigarettes on the strip, some good idea don’t you think so? I hope peace is soon declared so I can get home by Xmas. Write often. From your loving brother ,

John Craddock
304 FSBn
A.E.F. “

John would survive the rest of the war and return home. He would pass away on January 21st 1945 aged 53. He is buried in the Saint Patrick Roman Catholic Cemetery in Pennsylvania.
WW1 Era Letter Written by U.S. Soldier in France. “I hope peace is soon declared”.