WW1 Era Letter Written by U.S. Soldier in The Trenches of France. He writes of feeling shaky after heavy shelling and more.
This letter was written by a Glenn Filbert Borg. He was born on May 1st 1896 in Minnesota. During the war, he would serve with Co. D, 139th infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division. The letter reads:

“ Somewhere in France
Aug. 30, 1918

Dear Folks,

Peace in Jesus!

I will again drop you a few lines and at least let you know that I am well and safe yet. You will of course worry more about my safety now being that I am in the trenches, but I can say that I am just as safe here as I am any other place.

Life in the trenches has its advantages and disadvantages as well as in the civilian life. I find it dreadful at times but still it is like any other work I get accustomed to it. While heavy shelling goes on, we all feel a little shaky and all admit it too. I remember my first time that I felt shaky, I think I will remember it as long as I live.

I wish I could write what I really wanted to and tell you more about trench life and more of my experiences in the trenches so far. But it is for our own good that I am not allowed. One thing that I have noticed each time after some excitement, I can see the difference in the boys after each time. It certainly makes us think of the seriousness of it all. And many have not realized the serious side of this war. But our wish and hope are that it will come to an end soon. Some of the boys here are nice and fine to talk to about life. One fellow told me an interesting story about his life and his folks. A very fine fellow too. And he is very cool and has put his confidences in the Almighty and hopes that he will guide him thru it all. So you see, I have a friend to talk to when I find time.

Well I will save some news for next time so may the Lord help you dear folks back and comfort you.

Hoping you are well as I am and praying for you all, I am

Your son and brother
Pvt. Glenn F. Borg
Co. D. 139 U.S. Infantry
American E. F. “

Glenn would survive the next few months of the war and would return home. He would pass away on June 14th 1964 aged 68. He is buried in the Our Saviors Lutheran Cemetery in Minnesota.

WW1 Era Letter Written by U.S. Soldier in The Trenches of France. He writes of feeling shaky after heavy shelling and more.