Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Military Cross & bar

Article about: Here's something you don't see that often... an MC & bar for second award. Created on December 28th, 1914 for warrant officers and commissioned officers up to the substantive rank of cap

Default WW1 Military Cross & bar

Here's something you don't see that often... an MC & bar for second award. Created on December 28th, 1914 for warrant officers and commissioned officers up to the substantive rank of captain to recognise: "An act or acts of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy on land." The first of the awards were made on January 1st 1915 to 71 officers and 27 warrant officers

WW1 Military Cross & barWW1 Military Cross & bar

On August 26th, 1916 the London Gazette published a War Office order regarding a bar to the MC being instituted. A total of 37,081 MC's were awarded during the course of WW1 and up to the end of 1920. Of these recipients, 2,983 went on to win a 1st bar, 168 a 2nd bar, and four a 3rd bar. Such low figures make ANY MC with a bar highly desirable. I was very fortunate to pick up an example just the other week. It is a lovely example, and is 'as issued' with no inscription on the back. Unlike some other gallantry awards the MC was not named to the recipient, and any example named has been engraved privately by the recipient - or the recipients relatives.

WW1 Military Cross & barWW1 Military Cross & bar

Shown below is the official citation for the award of the bar to Lt (acting captain) Philip Howard Walker. Note the embossed War office stamp at the top of the note. Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

WW1 Military Cross & bar
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Military Cross & bar  

I have only ever sold one with a bar during my 7 years in the militaria auction trade.

I do have a nice 1940 dated MC coming up on Weds at work. So frustrating though, the vendor knows nothing about it, other that the location of where I came from. I have tried to research it to no vail.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have only ever sold one with a bar during my 7 years in the militaria auction trade.

I do have a nice 1940 dated MC coming up on Weds at work. So frustrating though, the vendor knows nothing about it, other that the location of where I came from. I have tried to research it to no vail.

Cheers, Ade.
    Indeed they are a hard medal to find with a bar, Ade... although having said that, there is one currently up for auction on eBay. It has no case or pin, but is named to 2nd Lt Ronald Eliot Wilson of the 'Hallamshire battalion.' Starting price is £895 - which someone has already bid. But with six days to go, I can see it fetching quite a few quid more. Its being sold by: pegil6072

What I like about my example is the official War Office citation, normally you only see downloads from the 'Gazette.' This is probably the first time I have seen such a citation with the medal.

There is also a nice 1940 dated MC (without bar) with case on eBay that the seller claims is a 'Dunkirk' MC, and although he claims it was obtained direct from the family some years ago, he gives no details whatsoever. churchillantiques(1959) have that for sale at a somewhat high price of £2,375...

Cheers,
    Steve

That is a superb example, and I've always thought the MC to be a really handsome decoration.

Quote by VtwinVince View Post
    That is a superb example, and I've always thought the MC to be a really handsome decoration.
    Unfortunately one has to be careful when purchasing gallantry medals. Back in June 2020, Henry Lyttel of Derby was found guilty of manufacturing fake gallantry medals and poppy pins. He would purchase sets of medals missing the gallantry award, and then manufacture his own to add to the medals. He seems to have named and/or dated all his copies, and it looks as though they were always attached to campaign groups missing the major award. Apparently the copies were of very good quality - he even used antique silver. How many are still in circulation is anybody's guess, but it makes you wonder when you see groups being sold whether all is what it appears to be. It would be interesting to know whether the Lytton fakes were good enough to fool the experts, but from what I have heard there were slight discrepancies in the measurements and the positioning of the four crowns. He got away with this for four years, and only received a suspended sentence.

Cheers,
    Steve

Some further information about the award of the bar to Captain Walker's MC for anyone who may be interested...

I spent some time researching several war diaries over Christmas for some medal groups I have. The following passage concerns the action that (acting) Captain Walker was involved in. The date of the entry is for October 13th, 1918.

Cheers,
    Steve

'Our Battery positions heavily shelled. Enemy had lots of Artillery and unfortunately some machine guns survived barrage in 24c & in edge of HASPREYS. Infantry has suffered heavy casualties & R.F.A. lost about 40 O.R.s killed & wounded, and about 100 horses. Enemy evidently determined to hold us for a day at least, though big fires ahead. Col Hon O.H. Stanley D.S.O. & Leut Shiells wounded. Major K. Duncan assumed command of Brigade. Capt Walker in command of D/246.
    Enemy must have lost very heavily. Our wounded treated well by Huns'.