Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Assistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visor

Article about: Gentlemen, I am looking at this visor to compliment my Cavalry Officers visor. I have found very little examples on the Kavallerie -5 visors. My readings on the regiment indicated on the 25.

Default Assistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visor

Gentlemen, I am looking at this visor to compliment my Cavalry Officers visor. I have found very little examples on the Kavallerie -5 visors. My readings on the regiment indicated on the 25.4.44 the regiment was named 5. On the 04.12.44 the regiment received the honour name and cuff title of "feldmarschall von Mackensen." In comparison to other similar Cavalry visors it appears ok, however, I would defer to our more knowledgable members for authenticity please. Does anyone know the origin of the skull on the visor? Does it relate to the Hussar cavalry? Once again, many thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visor   Assistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visor  

Assistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visor   Assistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visor  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visor
    P
    Many

?

Judging from these pictures the body of the cap is a pleasantly shaped original. I don't know a thing about insignia, though. What concerns the trditions's badge, see here (section "Uniform",old Prussian tradition): Husaren-Regiment No. 5 (Altpreussische Armee) – GenWiki

?

Yes, I love it. That small traditions badge is consistent with both early panzer and cavalry units as well. Kav Regt 5 in particular I believe. Primarily worn on collar tabs by Panzer and on shoulder straps by cavalry. However I could easily see one being used on a visor as well in that context. You see so many types of skulls on visors but this one screams authentic and original to the cap to my eye. I particularly like the spacing between the TK and the adler. Often times you see them touching or on top of each other indicating they may have been added later to enhance the value. I provided a couple of links on the bottom about the skull.

Assistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visorAssistance with Heer Cavalry 5th KAV EM/NCO visor

Small Danziger Traditions TK

Panzer Skull Small

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Regards, Al

Keith, the visor itself is original.
    However, many visors have had skulls attached postwar in order to get more $$$ out of the hat.
    With EM/NCO hats that have Traditions badges, I want to see either a distributor marking specific to the area where the unit was located.
    Or, you want to see regimental markings under the sweatband specific to the unit (unfortunately, these are also faked).

It is just too easy to take a Panzer collar-tab skull and slap it on an original hat.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Here is a short primer I did on Traditions badges last year:

Traditions-badged Visors 101: A Primer
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

I will only say in contrast to Stonemint's valid point, that this is not a typical panzer skull. There is an early, albeit obscure connection with these small skulls and cavalry visors. It just seems to me that someone "pimping" up a Kav 5 visor would have used the more traditional types readily available or more recognizable skulls like the common Danziger or others like these. Of course there is no way to know for sure but is there ever?

Regards, Al

Thank you sir, much appreciated. Cheers Keith

Thank you Al, appreciate the history behind these visors. Keith

Thank you Stonemint, I will give the visor scrutiny when in hand. Love the traditions of units piece you have done. Like I keep saying, there is so much more than just a visor here! Cheers Keith

?

I have a cavalry officer's visor cap in my collection, sold through
    a dealer in Bamberg, garrison of Reiter Regt. 17, where Klaus v. Stauffenberg served.
    The actual maker was BAMUFA.

BobS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast