Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner

Article about: Gentlemen, I would appreciate your assistance in reviewing this Officer Waffen SS visor please as I am a little confused. The visor was described as a "Waffen SS Officer's Visor Cap by

Default Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner

Gentlemen, I would appreciate your assistance in reviewing this Officer Waffen SS visor please as I am a little confused. The visor was described as a "Waffen SS Officer's Visor Cap by Clemens Wagner." It was advertised today, and after closer inspection of the details written about it, the seller described it as a 100% conversion. Further details stated "the exterior is rebanded from a Heer cap, which happened during the period." Further description stated that the Heer was absorbed into the SS at the time. What I would like is assistance regarding it authenticy as an SS Visor please, I am having trouble working out where this stands exactly, as I stated I am a little confused as to what this visor is exactly. Please excuse my ignorance and as always, many thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner   Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner  

Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner   Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner  

Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner   Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner
    P
    Many

?

Interesting question. I had the same question popping up. Let's wait for the cap guys to come here.

Original zinc insignia though, I like them.

?

A conversion cap is basically a Heer visor that has been fitted with a black band over the original band, SS chinstrap and Skull and eagle added. The insignia are authentic zinc Assmann on this one

It's a nice looking visor but it's impossible to know when it was converted during the war or post war. These caps were converted during the war for sure but impossible to know without direct provenance. In all fairness the website states "Unfortunately there is no way to prove if this conversion was done in 1944 or 1946 and that makes all the difference but the components are absolutely all original."

The upside is the cap is half the price of an Officer's WSS Visor, It's all a matter of how much you like the cap.
    Regards, Al

?

If you had the cap in hand you could check on the velvet band - particularly its back (material? weave? etc.) and look for holes of army insignia on the cap band stiffener. If there are none the story had a better chance to be true.

P.S.: from these pictures I can't see what colour the original cap band is - green or black?

P.P.S.: that the Heer was absorbed into the ss is new to me - what exactly do they mean by that?

?

The Heer (Army) was never absorbed into the Waffen SS. All Polizei Units were absorbed into the SS in 1942 and fell under Reichsfuhrer Himmler.

?

Yes I agree with the last. Heer was not obsorbed into the Waffen SS. Heer most times did get first pick of equipment or more equipment which is why we see so many photos of ss equipment with Heer eagles ect. Certainly some caps could and would be converted pre 45. However the monetary value to convert Heer to SS now is much greater influence. Many a nice Heer cap has been destroyed by this converting.

Caps were made the same for SS as Heer so this makes it a natural issue. Main difference was color. With this cap the statement of pre 45 or post 45 is the mystery.

I would not be comfortable spending this much money on at best a conversion and at worst a post 45 conversion fake.

Tim.

I own a very few pieces of SS insignia, which I've only considered purchasing after lots of research, I wouldn't consider anything until I was wholly comfortable with the item, any red flags in this field...... would be a huge 'No' for me, any seasoned collector......... would forever doubt
    Paul

?

The rebanding is quite well visible - i would not spend more then the price of a WH officer visor + SS bages - its impossible to know when it was done Assistance with Waffen SS Officer Visor by Clemens Wagner