Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best way to preserve your visor caps?

Article about: I've been looking at past threads regarding this issue but i'm still stuck on the same question, how to you preseve your caps? Currently they are sitting on foam heads (which from what i've

?

Default Best way to preserve your visor caps?

I've been looking at past threads regarding this issue but i'm still stuck on the same question, how to you preseve your caps?

Currently they are sitting on foam heads (which from what i've heard is not that great). However i did cut up an old shirt and put it around the head like this to protect the sweatband atleast.

Would this be considered better? I'm thinking of buying a plastic or a glass head but they are kinda expensive.

Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Best way to preserve your visor caps?
    P
    Many

I use an old leather AFL football cut in half. Soccer ball will work too.

MAP
    ?

I only have a few foam heads. I put a cut up cotton shirt on them too. I also only put hats without leather sweatbands on them.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Currently they are sitting on foam heads (which from what i've heard is not that great)
    The theory of the gas coming out of foam heads as they degrade is real....however that is if you sit the hat on the same head for say 20 or 30 years.
    Its not a overnight issue.
    As map noted just put some cloth over them, and it is totally fine.

Morris

?

Thanks for the answers guys. Good to hear it's not an issue after all.

TWS
    ?

I once had a member of some forum comment about my putting a visor hat on a foam head to take photos of it. I was thinking: relax buddy, it was on the foam head for about a half hour in order to take the photos!

KMMorris is on point. Just don't leave a hat on a foam head for years and it's not a danger. The bigger danger I see is collectors that display visor caps sitting on nothing but a shelf for many years. The stress on the visor over time is not good, but it is (or was) a common practice.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

I have my silk visor stored and displayed atop a Ethafoam form in a UV-filtering acrylic case. I haven’t physically handled the cap since I placed it in the case several years ago. I do look at the display frequently, of course, but since I know the risks in damaging these things with frequent handling and exposure to environmental contaminants, this solution was the most reasonable in my case.

The Ethafoam is non-reactive and it is covered with a polyester stockinette. The forms are available from multiple museum suppliers but the best price I’ve found is from University Products. The case came from Gaylord Archival and there are unlimited choices in designs and extras such as lighting and microclimate controls.

?

That is absolutely an awesome way to display a visor. You have good taste.

I recommend these hat stretchers and stands from a WAF member named Skipper Greenwade.
    You can see some of his work here.
    Welcome To Skipper Greenwade Woodworking
    Since I have some wood working ability, I order the top stretchers, and make the bases myself.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast