Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Broken pin on eagle - how to display?

Article about: Hey guys, I've got a luftwaffe EM/NCO cap whose eagle has a broken pin... I was wondering if anyone can give me some sensible and safe ideas for how to affix it in place without doing any da

If you remove the insignia, try super glue with the prong to the Adler. If you use bacon soda on the super glue after applying it it makes a near indestructible repair. Look up super glue and bacon soda repairs on you tube. One video shows a person testing the repair and it was a surprise how well the repair worked to hold pieces of metal together. Try not to use too much super glue & bacon soda dust it on before the super glue hardens. You can do 2 or 3 treatments to get and excellent repair as the super glue is ultra thin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Broken pin on eagle - how to display?
    P
    Many

Quote by Rich Moran View Post
    If you remove the insignia, try super glue with the prong to the Adler. If you use bacon soda on the super glue after applying it it makes a near indestructible repair. Look up super glue and bacon soda repairs on you tube. One video shows a person testing the repair and it was a surprise how well the repair worked to hold pieces of metal together. Try not to use too much super glue & bacon soda dust it on before the super glue hardens. You can do 2 or 3 treatments to get and excellent repair as the super glue is ultra thin.
    I too have a LW adler with a broken prong, looks like a Saturday fix this weekend, the video of the guy hanging a twenty eight pound weight from the fix wowed me

Bill
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

sure:

thanks for the suggestions guys!
    hehe I guess that is why my first attempt to solder something (this) failed!

I also tried super glue but there was not much surface area so maybe I used too much...

ecceles23, did you try it with the bacon soda? For that repair you'll need to do more then 1 try. The bacon soda really aids in strengthening the repair and for such a small area I think 3 or 4 tries would get it. I'd do a tape build up towards the prong tip or even cut a piece of Styrofoam to build up a platform to rest the prong on so that way your not needing 2 sets of hands and then holding the prong in place. Try taping the prong to the Styrofoam so it will not go anywhere and maybe tape the Styrofoam to the Adler. Allow each successive application to set up but 1 thing is for certain, the baking soda causes the superglue to accelerate in curing. You have to move pretty quick and with that trying to hold everything in place and doing the application...it's like herding cats.

Also try to rough the end of the prong up to create small gouges that the glue can grip to. If you have a small drill bit, use that by hand with a small vice grip and not a drill! --- in the saddle where the prong pulled away from to create a burr or a roughened seat so the tip that's anchored inside the saddle has enough area to allow super glue build up. Try getting bacon soda on the ends that join before applying the glue as well. Then apply the glue over the bacon soda.

Shemp H this super glue bacon soda technique is used to repair helicopter blades that were dinged by debris but are still usable!

I've tried liquid steel doing this kind of repair but the liquid steel will not work. The metals used for some reason does not do well if at all with liquid steel.

Addendum: I would be remiss not advising another step. Forgot about the Styrofoam but when superglue hits it it melts it making it into a plastic type material. Maybe using that over the end of the prong that goes into the prongs anchor area on the Adler would help reinforce it even more. Cut a piece large enough to push the prong through it to the anchor side. Then use other pieces of Styrofoam to support the end that goes into the visors fabric. Apply bacon soda over the Styrofoam then the super glue anchor side only and just a drop or 2. My guess here is you could then add more bits of Styrofoam building up a base around the prong while applying bacon soda first, then superglue.
    Last edited by Rich Moran; 02-06-2024 at 09:44 AM. Reason: additional step to consider

?

Thanks for the inside pictures - interesting! Also the weave of the fabric - gaberdine, a rarer material used for caps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2