Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Could anyone help me please as to this NCOs/EMs Heer visor cap? Many thanks

Article about: Good afternoon, Looking at this cap from the German militaria dealer history-shop.de (Militarische und zeitgeschichtliche Antiquitaten - History Shop) and wondering whether it is good or not

?

Originally these caps were ironed into shape on a wooden block using a damp cotton/linnen cloth and/or put into a steam chamber.

See here (ironing picture # 7):
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...making-um3.jpg

(steaming picture in the center, top row):
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...making-um4.jpg

If you are careful you can iron the cap.

First you should make yourself an iron ring for the top panel - take a thin wire rope (e.g. as used for bicycle brakes) join the ends - I use a thin tube of brass which I then pinch so that the ends of the wire rope can't slip out, but be careful that there are no sharp edges - use sandpaper to smooth them down. Put this ring into the cap (wire rope is very flexible, so that should be no problem). The ring should fit into the seam of the top panel quite tightly, not too tight of course, so that the lining isn't damaged.

Then make a wad of a piece of cotton/linen cloth that you can put into the cap so that the part you want to iron is stuffed out tightly. Put the damp cotton/linnen cloth on the cap, hold the wad on the inside and apply the iron - not too hot and not too long.

Put the cap on a suitable hat stand etc. and let it cool down and dry. Repeat the action if necessary. If you are not sure how to do it, let it be. There are already too many caps around that have been damaged in the effort to restore them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Could anyone help me please as to this NCOs/EMs Heer visor cap? Many thanks
    P
    Many

RTH
    ?

Thank you very much for that - really appreciate it.

Many thanks

RTH
    ?

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Originally these caps were ironed into shape on a wooden block using a damp cotton/linnen cloth and/or put into a steam chamber.

See here (ironing picture # 7):
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...making-um3.jpg

(steaming picture in the center, top row):
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...making-um4.jpg

If you are careful you can iron the cap.

First you should make yourself an iron ring for the top panel - take a thin wire rope (e.g. as used for bicycle brakes) join the ends - I use a thin tube of brass which I then pinch so that the ends of the wire rope can't slip out, but be careful that there are no sharp edges - use sandpaper to smooth them down. Put this ring into the cap (wire rope is very flexible, so that should be no problem). The ring should fit into the seam of the top panel quite tightly, not too tight of course, so that the lining isn't damaged.

Then make a wad of a piece of cotton/linen cloth that you can put into the cap so that the part you want to iron is stuffed out tightly. Put the damp cotton/linnen cloth on the cap, hold the wad on the inside and apply the iron - not too hot and not too long.

Put the cap on a suitable hat stand etc. and let it cool down and dry. Repeat the action if necessary. If you are not sure how to do it, let it be. There are already too many caps around that have been damaged in the effort to restore them.
    I won't try anything unless I am 200% sure of what I am doing and I have consulted with someone else first.

MT

RTH
    ?

Hello again,

Sorry to trouble you again, but could anyone please explain to me why some Wehrmacht caps have the cockade embroidered and some have metal ones such as the one I have just purchased?

Many thanks
    R

?

Quote by RTH View Post
    Hello again,

Sorry to trouble you again, but could anyone please explain to me why some Wehrmacht caps have the cockade embroidered and some have metal ones such as the one I have just purchased?

Many thanks
    R
    A mere matter of price. Everybody (EM, NCO and officers) could buy and wear embroidered insignia. Mostly only officers did as they were costly.

Here is the perfect explanation thanks to HPL2008 (post # 26): Erel IR 17 officer visor cap

Also see here (post # 9): Heer Officers Schirmmütze Opinion

RTH
    ?

That's very interesting, thank you. Would fully embroidered caps retail for slightly higher these days?

KR

R.

RTH
    ?

To whom it may concern, Kai Winkler (history-shop.de) has the 30% discount back on!

RTH
    ?

Sorry late reply. Over all I think I paid £467.09 and that includes PayPal fees and postage.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5