Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early Black SS Crusher

Article about: This cap is currently up for auction and has been discussed (trashed) on the 'other' forum, and as I've examined this cap several times, I've been asked to share my thoughts on it. Because I

?

Default Early Black SS Crusher

This cap is currently up for auction and has been discussed (trashed) on the 'other' forum, and as I've examined this cap several times, I've been asked to share my thoughts on it. Because I no longer maintain a profile on the other forum, I'll do it here, and I'd urge the below-quoted poster to continue the discussion here as well. First, some pics:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Black SS Crusher   Early Black SS Crusher  

Early Black SS Crusher   Early Black SS Crusher  

Attached Images Attached Images Early Black SS Crusher 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Black SS Crusher
    P
    Many

?

Here are the comments from the other forum, along with my replies:

"Strange pasteboard material, end of the sweatband way off centre.."

This pasteboard material is often seen in early kepis. Later on it is found in crushers, but mostly coloured black in my experience. Granted regarding the end of the sweatband, but I'd be more concerned if the forehead perforations were way off centre.

"Empty holes in the sweatband"

The pics are not great. Some of the stitch holes are torn or distorted through use, but I didn't find any actual empty stitch holes during my inspections. I think better pics would show this, and would urge anyone considering bidding to request better pics and post them here.

"Shield doesn't look like oilcloth, looks like regular celluloid that's been altered,,heated, stained, not sure.."

Not sure why one would feel it doesn't look like oilcloth. It is the classic oilcloth as very occasionally encountered in TR crushers.

"Lining folded over and stitched to the pasteboard at the centre piping position with no stitches above that? very unusual..
    Plus never seen a side lining material like that before.."

While the average TR cap collector might find this unusual, those experienced in Imperial German caps see this feature of construction all the time. I believe its just an earlier technique that was later abandoned. Side lining is a thin light brown cotton?

"Why is the top wasserdicht lining so creased, cracked and folded? makes no sense unless it was transplanted in this cap..
    This photo also highlights how badly pleated the lining is."

This observation really has me puzzled. Because its a well-used crusher? I'd be highly suspicious if the top lining was NOT creased, cracked and folded, as the cap itself was intended to be folded, or...crushed. They lining probably does not look as neat as it did when new, but I don't see how its that remarkable compared to other well-used soft bodied caps...

Here, a rare pic of one in use with the LAH in its earliest incarnation:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Black SS Crusher  

?

The only contribution to this thread I can make is that the stiffener of the centerband is not pasteboard but a ribbon made of linnen or jute stiffened by shellack or glue (more likely glue as shellack is brown/black). Presently I am experimenting with a jute ribbon to which I applied shellack which - if it turns out right - will be the stiffener of the centerband of the next "Alter Art" cap I want to make.

F.-B.would have been the man to judge this cap. I like the sweatshield - this is very difficult to fake and I also like the way the lining is sewn in - typical of the early caps, see here (post # 6):

A little help

?

Another photo of one of these in wear...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Black SS Crusher  

As stated on the other forum, I like it.
    It went for $17,000 + 20 % commission--the market is the strongest I have ever seen it.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

What's the betting it went to Russia?

Derek, not a bet I will take!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

TWS
    ?

What's the over/under on it going to some fat rich guy who picks his nose before handling it and then throws it in a trunk and it never sees the light of day again?
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Not one i would ever want to own.