Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Feldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - EREL

Article about: Hello everyone! This is my newest acquisition, a nicely worn double Erel Feldgendarmerie officer’s cap with vented cockade, which is the first Erel in my collection (and not the last I’m

TWS
    ?

Quote by Migobeego View Post
    Really beautiful cap too! Your collection must be impressive...

Is the 'farbe on yours a different shade of orange? I don't really know what the difference is between FG and recruiting
    In volume I, Angolia and Schlicht indicate that there were three shades of orange. However, in my experience over the years I have come to the personal conclusion that subtle differences in Waffenfarbe become difficult to differentiate due to manufacturers' differences, dye lot variation, and the effects of aging upon the items.

Even when the items were brand new, there was some variation in the Waffenfarbe on uniform items worn by members of the same branch - due to the first two reasons I gave. Throw in the third reason, aging, and it can become difficult.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - EREL
    P
    Many

I agree, I have never been able to discern a difference in the shades--too many dye lot variations.
    In any event, Recruiting, while less glamorous, is even more rare than FG.

(Same is true with Veterinarian visors vs Genl Staff).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

TWS
    ?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    I agree, I have never been able to discern a difference in the shades--too many dye lot variations.
    In any event, Recruiting, while less glamorous, is even more rare than FG.

(Same is true with Veterinarian visors vs Genl Staff).
    I just posted this in my thread about visor hat piping colors, but here's one from a man who served in the Heer Ersatzwesen. Ironically, he was in Artillerie prior to that! However, he switched over to an orange-piped cap. It's on the right and an Artillerie cap is on the left.

Then, to go the extra yard: Here's a Veterinary Karmesinrot - on the mannequin and then it's the left cap sitting on top of the Waffenrock. The cap on the right has been met with a lack of consensus. One experienced friend maintains he believes it to be Nebeltruppen, but I lean towards General Staff. Last photo shows my "General Staff" cap on the Veterinary Waffenrock to show the difference.

Feldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - ERELFeldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - ERELFeldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - ERELFeldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - EREL
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

This cap was reviewed on the "other" forum a few years back, and, please correct me if I'm wrong, the consensus was that it is a FG cap.
    Placed against an artlillery cap 's piping, the difference in color was quite apparent.
    I took these photos today, both inside and outside; opinions welcome.

BobSFeldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - ERELFeldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - ERELFeldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - ERELFeldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - ERELFeldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - EREL

Bob--definitely not artillery. It is an orange-red to my eyes. These are supposed to be for Ordnance.

?

"Headgear of Hitler's Germany" Vol.1, in the waffenfarbe section, with the dates 1940-45, orange red for Ingenieur-Offizier-Akademie.
    Earlier, for 1937 to 1940, waffenfarbe is for Erganzungs-Offiziere im OKW und Wehrkresien, but I believe this cap was made post 1940.
    Will we ever REALLY know?

BobS

?

I don't think you can definitely attribute an orange piped cap to a specific branch with any absolute certainty. BUt you can consider probability. An early Tellerform cap made pre-1939 can't be Feldgendarmerie because they didn't exist then. Likewise a post 42 made cap can't be recruiting as by then they had change to white Waffenfarbe.
    Additionally you have to take into consideration the size of the Feldgendarmerie. Dwarfed by the size of the infantry for example, but huge compared to recruiting, ordnance, engineers or other smaller branches that used orange . So, if you have an orange piped cap, the statistical probability is that it is more likely a Feldgendarmerie cap than any of the others unless there is some evidence pointing otherwise.

I mean when was the last time you saw a white piped cap being described as anything other than Infantry despite the many other branches that used white ? Because absent any other evidence, the overwhelming likelyhood is that it was for Infantry.

Sometimes we can get tied up with concerns over slight differences in colour shades. Plenty of differences in the shades of orange I've seen on definite Feldgendarmerie straps.

On caps though, I'd say the Feldgendarmerie caps I've had showed a definite bright reddish orange colour piping, like this Clemens Wagner, whereas civilian Gendarmerie caps I've had were more of a duller orange.

Feldgendarmerie Officer visor cap - EREL

Gordon, terrific insight (as always)--& the cap ain't too bad either!

Thank you for the interesting comments!

Sorry for my (maybe silly) question, but would it still be correct to assume that mine is FG? I see the piping on my cap to be quite bright orange, as opposed to reddish orange.

?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Gordon, terrific insight (as always)--& the cap ain't too bad either!
    My first ever Feldgendarmerie cap was a double marked Erel but I'd have to say that Clemens Wagner visors are my personal favourite.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast