MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fun bugger!

Article about: Picked this one up yesterday.. It is a British pith helmet with kriegsmarine insignia on it. Made by the firm W. Wilson & Sons limited London. I think the helmet is early 1900.. And how

Default Fun bugger!

Picked this one up yesterday..
    It is a British pith helmet with kriegsmarine insignia on it.
    Made by the firm W. Wilson & Sons limited London.
    I think the helmet is early 1900.. And how the insignia ended up on it, well we'll probably never know..
    I got it from a nice old guy not far from where I live.. He said that he had it for the last 50 years at least!
    Well I liked it.. Original insignia, but when it was put on the helmet.. Who knows!!

Hope you like it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fun bugger!
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Well, we know that the Germans repurposed materials. I think I have seen a period photo or two of British piths being used by the Germans (don't ask me when or where).

But you are correct....we will never know
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Lots of pictures with different nationality piths being worn here by Germans period.
    So who knows.. Maybe mine was used by a kriegsmarine man!!

If only they could talk... your pith would have some wonderful stories to tell

This photo you posted is certainly one I have never seen before either... Great shot ! (as they all are).

Cheers

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images Fun bugger! 

?

Another Great LTC.
    It looks to be in good condition.
    Congrat's!

Semper Fi
    Phil

What a nice piece. I like that retailers mark that confirms the Egypt connection. Quite possible it was obtained from a prisoner or even bought by a German visitor to Egypt pre- war. We'll never know but a good conversation piece. I seem to recall Rommel's famous goggles were given to him by a British POW.

Default The Entertainment Team

Nice Pith Helmet!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fun bugger!  

Our reenactment group had an Afrikakorps mentor named Gerhard Hennes. He said the German Troppenhelm was disliked. The British "pith" was favored and he said when you wore it you felt like a "Colonial master." I have no doubt such items were worn but like everyone else, I have no idea if the insignia were added during the period. Still, a nice piece. Neil

Quote by Stevade View Post
    Nice Pith Helmet!!
    Now you are "taking the pith"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Ullergaard View Post
    Picked this one up yesterday..
    It is a British pith helmet with kriegsmarine insignia on it.
    Made by the firm W. Wilson & Sons limited London.
    I think the helmet is early 1900.. And how the insignia ended up on it, well we'll probably never know..
    I got it from a nice old guy not far from where I live.. He said that he had it for the last 50 years at least!
    Well I liked it.. Original insignia, but when it was put on the helmet.. Who knows!!

Hope you like it.
    I like it!
    Too "off the wall" to be an attempt at deceit and it would never pass for a genuine German Troppenhelm but given the proliferance of "adopted" items and the fact that a Port Said made item of this nature would surely have travelled far I echo the sentiment "who knows"?
    It never will be true militaria as it cannot be substantiated but it is a brilliant piece of ephemera

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast