Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Heer Officer Schirmmutze

Article about: Hello Collectors, I would like to have some opinions on this cap, could it be an original piece? Thanks in advance, Stan

Default Heer Officer Schirmmutze

Hello Collectors,

I would like to have some opinions on this cap, could it be an original piece?

Thanks in advance,

Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer Officer Schirmmutze   Heer Officer Schirmmutze  

Heer Officer Schirmmutze   Heer Officer Schirmmutze  

Heer Officer Schirmmutze   Heer Officer Schirmmutze  

Heer Officer Schirmmutze  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Officer Schirmmutze
    P
    Many

?

It could be a late(r) war Peküro cap. There are some anomalities: the piping is made from marcella (this did exist and I rember having it seen already somewhere here), the centerband (I suppose you don't have it in your hands so that you can't check that) is unusual and seems to be be a ribbon covering the actual centerband (I also can't identify the colour of this cover - should be dark green), there are some holes in the stiffener of the centerband as if another insignia had been sewn on, on the other hand there are no other holes visible which would indicate that a different metal insignia had been attached to this cap. The bill might have been resewn but I can't really see this, there might be some (not very well executed) repair stiches here:

Heer Officer Schirmmutze

The fabric is the Trikot-weave typical for a certain period. For me it is rather a yes than a no. As always, wait for some other's opinons, they might see what I overlook.

?

O.K., I knew I had already seen something like this, see here - post # 6 - (no need to wait for others and congrats!):

Ww2 ir 17?

Thanks for your reply, would you consider €400 to be a fair price?

Stan

?

Compared to what people nowadays want for such a cap it's a bargain.

?

If you decide to get it and have it in your hands, you might want to check wheter the centerband isn't covering another one, made of velvet, see here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...44_resized.jpg

Can you please explain me what you mean? I don't understand it I am sorry

Stan

?

Well, during the war almost everything was used what came in handy to make caps and if a cap maker had many caps with velvet centerband for which there was no demand he would put another centerband on it (e. g. a ribbon that covered the original centerband) just like marcella woven fabric was used for the piping (I assume that there tons of marcella fabric left when white-top LW caps were no longer in demand/forbidden so this fabric was used for white pipings) and so what was originally made for WSS then could have been altered to WH (but I don't know that, this would have to be checked with the cap in question, perhaps Peküro simply used this kind of fabric for WH centerbands - they should, however, be made of dark-green "Abzeichentuch"). If there was velvet or black fabric under the cover (provided it is a cover and not the real centerband) it would be a period modified SS cap just like in the link of post # 6. For that price I would take a chance and then check.

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. I will have a look when I got it.

Thanks a lot

Stan