Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine Tellermütze

Article about: Using the sage advice of member ‘Redcap’ (to avoid anything that’s not strictly regulation!), I am pleased to say I have, at last, got myself a splendid Tellermütze! Made by J.P. Moll

?

Default Kriegsmarine Tellermütze

Using the sage advice of member ‘Redcap’ (to avoid anything that’s not strictly regulation!), I am pleased to say I have, at last, got myself a splendid Tellermütze!
    Made by J.P. Moll, Breda, Holland - a prolific manufacturer of these caps, during the occupation - it has all the regulation features and typical materials one expects to find.

Marked by Moll as a size 56.5, inside the band, the crown bears a naval acceptance size of 57, though the depot initial is difficult to determine (and more so, to photograph). There appears to be the remains of such a stamp to the left of the size mark, but I am unable to say if it is the W of Wilhelmshaven (Nordsee), or K for Kiel (Ostsee), though I mostly lean toward the latter.

When I acquired this cap, it was bereft of insignia, but I already had, or was able to find, suitably aged examples. The Adler is marked JFS 40, and I particularly like the toning to the generic Kriegsmarine tally (adopted 5th September 1939), which replaced the previously named ships tallies in the interests of security and practicality.
    It’s a fiddly thing to fit, but the neat tail folds are especially pleasing to the eye.

One curious detail I have noticed during the course of my research, is the surprisingly common presence of white ink or paint smudges to the interior of these caps, particularly near and under the sweatband. I’m developing a theory that these may be the inky fingerprints of the depot inspectors, as they check for the manufacturer’s size markings and quality of construction, prior to adding their acceptance stamp!
    {this may, of course, be complete nonsense on my part, but I cannot think of another explanation}

Naturally, you realise, I really need a Bordmütze to accompany it now...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Tellermütze   Kriegsmarine Tellermütze  

Kriegsmarine Tellermütze   Kriegsmarine Tellermütze  

Kriegsmarine Tellermütze  
    Last edited by Kohima; 07-14-2023 at 11:11 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Tellermütze
    P
    Many

Ko, nice to see an original of these--congrats....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Many thanks, Stoney!
    I am very pleased with it. I’m planning on putting a Kriegsmarine mannequin together, eventually, and this represents a pretty good start. It’s a struggle to remain strict with myself and not get carried away with every nice bit of Kriegsmarine kit I see, but thankfully, it’s relative scarcity is helping on that front!

Very nice cap indeed, I remember seeing this or one very much like it a few weeks ago for sale and was tempted myself.

I note your desire to put together a mannequin but that is dangerous. About 18 months ago I had no Kreigsmariune items in my collection at all, and decided a nice Tellermutze and a mannequin would do just fine. So I ended up with the following:

Kriegsmarine Tellermütze

Unfortunately once started I couldn't stop so it now looks like this.

Kriegsmarine Tellermütze

Good luck, great cap.

Regards

Eddie

?

Ohh... crap.

This is only going one way, isn’t it?

Fantastic work for just 18 months, Eddie, and a wonderful, clean display (though it looks like you could do with another cabinet)! I’d love to see some more of your collection in detail...

Many thanks for the images and... warning.
    All the very best,
    Rob

By the way, I like the way you have arranged the white mützen to echo the stripe of the neckerchief!

?

Very nice example. Moll is one of the few non-German manufactured KM caps I would consider owning. Well done !