Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Officer chin cord buttons

Article about: Hi everyone, I have been trying to find some information on the types of chin cord buttons used for officer visor caps (heer) and so far I haven't been able to really identify those that are

Default Officer chin cord buttons

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find some information on the types of chin cord buttons used for officer visor caps (heer) and so far I haven't been able to really identify those that are period and those that are post war.

Browsing some dealers websites that have these for sale, I have noticed all of them have the split pin set up like these:

Of all officer caps I have, all have the split pin set up (one of them with rounded prongs, which I hope is not an issue)

I was wondering if there are any characteristics that can help identify period ones or if there are other variations, for example in the shape of the prongs or backside of the button.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Regards,
    MG.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Officer chin cord buttons
    P
    Many

By “rounded prongs” I meant this:

Original TR period chincord and button?

As our friend ErWeSa noted, the cords in that link are probably post war for being reverse twisted, but the button itself?

Probably there were many types of period chin cord buttons and might be really difficult to know if they are pre-1945.

?

This really is a problem (at least for me). Even if these buttons were stamped/hallmarked with known maker marks you can't be sure whether they are pre- or post 1945. The same kind of buttons were used on (and are still used today) as were the chin-cords. Unless inside the knots there is a plastic part you can't tell (but for the east German reverse twisted ones - there is a thread on reverse twisted cords in the original caps forum).
    There also were so many different kinds of buttons for the cords - those with the splints, those with a loop to be sewn on, different surfaces - pebbled, matte grey etc. Particularly later in the war almost anything that fitted was used. An interesting subject but without safe clues but for the (naturally) aged look - these things are at least 75 years old meanwhile, so they should look like this.
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 08-09-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for posting you photos. Would you please be so kind as to tell me what dealers are selling the officer chin cord buttons with the flat split pins? I am in need of a set for a restoration.

Thank you ErWeSa for your reply!

Dochol, I found those in the sold section of Militaria Emig. They have lots of spare parts, worth a look if you need restoration.

Thank You!