Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Police Side Cap

Article about: This piece has the name tag of the owner sewed inside. Salty cap. Flea markets have been dry around here (NY). It's nice to have a forum to show some pieces. Thanks....Frank

Wilhelm, sorry if I gave the impression that this expression was from the official regulations. I was joking around with a slang that collector's, and I believe some reference books use for the piping color for Schupo and uniformed Sipo. I am fully aware of the terms for the official regs, but thanks again for the run down.

Actually, I am very surprised that you are not familiar with the slang: Toxic, Poison green.
    Collector's have used special nomenclature for decades: Coffee can cap, Ruptured Duck, Jingling Johnny, Come-alongs, etc., etc..

With what we know about the history of the Schupo Batl. and Sipo, I think it is a fitting name, but I promise to never use it on the forum again.

I do not know where the term originated, but you're probably right about it being an American or UK invention. It is purrdy naim fore a culer, ain't it?

I am relatively new to this forum, so it might take me a bit to know what's acceptable and what's not, please forgive me.

Thank you for the correction.
    After all, we are all here to learn and have fun!

Best Regards,

Marcus

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police Side Cap
    P
    Many

?

Quote by FB1926 View Post
    Poison green (lol), I wonder what descriptive term they gave for orange? Thank you all...Best Regards, Frank
    "The size of my balls orange."

Marcus, as an European from the Mainland slang is not my kind of thing. Hardly!

I wondered where the expression was found, just like that! I just gave the names
    for the colors for those that were interested. So!
    Involuntary occasionally one takes over such "slang"-word, like coffee can or Robin
    Hood cap for a better understanding for others. Both are just caps! Some like to
    use the word hat, which in fact is a wrong expression. But whatever. It must have
    some name: "Call a spade a spade"?

It must be obvious I quote from old documentation (pre-1945) and hardly ever use
    modern books and so it is as hellgrün, light green or pale green. Giftgrün is to
    make it more interesting, and if others like to use that word, it is up to them or you, if
    you like that word! So there is nothing to forgive, but it does not have to do with history....
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 09-13-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Wilhelm, I can certainly appreciate your scholarly approach to the hobby. You are a serious and dedicated researcher, and I agree with 99% of what you have stated above. I too would rather use proper terminology when at all possible. History is best explained when one strips it down to it's barest and most honest descriptive form, "a spade is a spade" indeed!

I've only posted very little and even less with starting threads. However, if you should read my threads, you will see that I too prefer to use the period language teminology; SS Zivilabzeichen, not SS membership pin., Kebelkette, not twisters., Kripo Dienstmarken, not disk., you get the picture.

My little single line post on page one was meant to be silly, but perhaps it was too acidic, and if so I apologize and will be more careful in the future.

Please know that I respect you and feel honored that we have a colleague with high scholarly standards with which to learn the "meat and potatos" of this collecting field. I have only recently come to realize how much the members here hold you in high esteem, and rightly so IMO!

My new mantra here is, "Say no to slang!" <----just kidding or am I?

Kindest and Best Regards,

Marcus

Quote by Marcus Vaughn View Post
    Wilhelm, I too would rather use proper terminology when at all possible. I too prefer to use the period language teminology.
    My new mantra here is, "Say no to slang!", Marcus
    Thanks. In my books and/or articles I try always to include the proper German word and give - if possible - a translation. Occasionally the last is sometimes
    hardly possible, while the word can't be translated that well. People sometimes consider this as exagerrated, but for me it is "a must". Personally I do not
    like the indications as WB or IC. It is Verwundetenabzeichen and Eisernes Kreuz. RK, KVK or LAH is okay to me, as this then is an abbreviation from
    the original German word Ritterkreuz, Kriegsverdienstkreuz or Leibstandarte "Adolf Hitler".
    What others prefer is their personnal thing. And remember I do not have a solution always for a word or indication. I cannot always solve the problem.
    Even after over 40 years I am still learning, every day and with every document and so there are of course mistakes and errors in my book. This is mainly
    caused by the fact I was mistaken about a subject and did not understand well enough the order or document, even my German is rather good. These days
    some German friends, wich I consider as my mentors, do put me into the right track!

Both very nice caps, i would be happy with either..On the question of slang.Edmund Blackadder (yes the TV show) once said that the Germans dont have an equivalent for the word fluffy,if you now google that,hundreds of people have asked the same question and some of the replies are fantastic

I would fluffy translate in German as flaumig or faserig/flockig.
    This is a literally translation from dictionaries. Maybe Germans from WRF can tell more!

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    <>
    I wondered where the expression was found, just like that! I just gave the names
    for the colors for those that were interested. So!
    <>
    It may have originated from vol 5 of Andrew Mollo's series Uniforms of the SS where I first read it in the '70s. One should ask him where he found it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2