Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss

Article about: Probably now the coolest Schiffchen (overseas cap, garrison cap, slip cap, side cap, take your pick) that I own. This arrived a few weeks ago but with the MAX and all else, I just now found

TWS
    ?

Default The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss

Probably now the coolest Schiffchen (overseas cap, garrison cap, slip cap, side cap, take your pick) that I own.

This arrived a few weeks ago but with the MAX and all else, I just now found time to photograph it and make a thread. Gerhard Holzweiss spent some of his service time in Kradschützen-Abteilung (motorcycle battalion) 3, a unit whose lineage allowed its members to wear the Schwedter Adler. He evidently liked that a lot as it seems he affixed it to a variety of his headgear and kept doing so after he was later assigned to Panzer-Aufklärer-Abteilung 3, also within the 3rd Panzer Division. Once a soldier served in a unit entitled to wear that traditional insignia, he was allowed to wear it ever after, even after he transferred out to another unit.

The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto HolzweissThe Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto HolzweissThe Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto HolzweissThe Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto HolzweissThe Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

My small grouping is, unfortunately, only part of the entire Holzweiss Nachlass. At some point it was split in two. I am friends with the original collector who pulled it out of woodwork and I reached out to him and he graciously sent me big high-resolution scans of the portion that split off in another direction. Because I would very much like to reunite the entire grouping he also at my request contacted the last owner known to him of that portion. Unfortunately that collector had since passed it along. Here are a just a few of the scans showing some of the other items that were in the Nachlass.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss   The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss  

The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss   The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss  

The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss   The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss  

The Schiffchen of Gerhard Otto Holzweiss  
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

T, congrats on acquiring not only a killer set, but one that is rare as hens teeth--a Panzer overseas with a Schwedter that we know is original.
    It has to be one of the rarest pieces of Panzer headgear out there....
    Last edited by stonemint; 09-27-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Very nice indeed.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

TWS
    ?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    T, congrats on acquiring not only a killer set, but one that is rare as hens teeth--a Panzer overseas with a Schwedter that we know is original.
    It has to be one of the rarest pieces of Panzer headgear out there....
    Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Very nice indeed.
    Thanks Chris and Ade! A good friend and highly esteemed Panzer collector had it and I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."