Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS VT Crusher at auction

Article about: This is at a current auction, your thoughts please?

?

I should have expressed myself more clearly. What I meant was that these very early (concerning the shape of the cap in the OP it must be an early cap also because of the cloth covered bill) caps I have seen pictures of always had the simple turned over leather sweatband. There were more sophisticated versions of this of course in the almost dress-cap like WH-FM Alter Art such as in the pictures above. IMHO these are of by far later make (and against regulations, they even have sweat diamonds!).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS VT Crusher at auction
    P
    Many

Thank you for posting those images ErWeSa.

Am thinking about the chin cord as well. Wonder if this started out as a senior NCO visor and was upgraded along the way. Seems to me that these are quite fragile and am thinking that there were no chin cords or straps used but having seen so few I again, do not know the answer to the question.

When I first saw the visor, and was viewing the images I thought it appears as a good one but seeing the interior, no wear and the overall condition it is is difficult to imagine, this was obtained, then worn maybe 5 times or less and stored.

?

Rich: The pictures were posted by Arran. I just commented on these in post # 11. Meanwhile I found a cap which reminds me of the one in the OP (concerning the shape, the bill is the leather version) and which was itself discussed controversially back in 2013:

SS Crusher for Review & Comment

?

In hand is shows quite a bit of wear and soiling, also to the interior- the lining is quite a bit lighter than what can be seen in the crown. There are a number of repairs to it as well which are not mentioned in the description. Although the sweatband is quite fragile, an "under the hood" shot would have been helpful...

Quote from Stonemint - "I will say I have known Bruce Hermann for years, and I have regularly bid on his auctions, and I have also consigned items to his Auction.
    He is one of the few stand-up guys in the hobby.
    However, like any dealer, he cannot be an expert in all areas.
    If you feel an item is fake, take the time to email him and let him know, and he will pull the item from his site." Unquote.

I have contacted Bruce, and he has indeed taken down those dubious items, and I agree, he is one of the good guys.

Bob

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Rich: The pictures were posted by Arran. I just commented on these in post # 11. Meanwhile I found a cap which reminds me of the one in the OP (concerning the shape, the bill is the leather version) and which was itself discussed controversially back in 2013:

SS Crusher for Review & Comment
    This visor in the link shows without chincord and chincord buttons, and represents what I think these visors were actually worn as.

Unfortunately there is a company called warhats.com, and what they produce and sell are aged crushers as well as standard soft cap wear that is reproduced and aged to look like it has the years an original visor or cap would have on it.

The sweat band stitching is slightly different thread size wise as you can clearly see in the images below, but looking at what this visor is spells trouble to me. Perhaps if someone requested a smaller diameter thread as well as liner material & without sweat shield this company would produce a visor to those specs as money does speak loudly. Then if having your own insignia to later add or to send to them so they can install to what they made spells more troubling thought.

These images represent an high quality reproduced crusher and do not represent an original visor. Use these images for research!
    Attached Images Attached Images SS VT Crusher at auction  SS VT Crusher at auction  SS VT Crusher at auction  SS VT Crusher at auction  SS VT Crusher at auction 

?

Unfortunately the pics on the auction site are not very high resolution. On the actual cap, the high points of the folds of the lining are threadbare, and the crown of the visor is quite soiled and impregnated. None of this really shows in the pics, and I would urge people to request better pics...

Does anyone know what the visor that led off this thread went for?
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

It didn't make the reserve Stoney, so got passed in....

Bob

?

I've just put an offer in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2