Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

Article about: I love the pigeon display mate, really great stuff!

WWII Japanese Chemical Warfare Horse Hoof Covers. I bought a set of these back in 2014.

Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?

*Let me state that this specific set of covers and photograph is not mine (found this pic on an auction site). Mine look very similar to this, but are dated 1942. About 90% of my collection is currently packed up and I have no idea which box the hoof covers are in. Various relatives have been living with us because of prior hurricanes and floods damaging their homes, so my "War Room" had to be packed up to make space.

From what I've read, the Japanese had these in case they had to protect the horses' hooves and legs from erosive chemical weapons that might still be soaked into the ground and mud following a gas attack. The horses had other types of protective gear to put on the rest of their body too, like straps to wrap the rest of the legs, a goggled mask for their eyes and ears, and of course a gas mask for their snout. I don't have any of those parts, though I've always thought it'd be cool to own a horse gas mask and a dog gas mask. Haven't come across any yet.

I tried to find a period photo of the horse hoof covers in action, but came up empty. One day I'll have to ask my friends if I can put it on their horse's feet just to see what they look like!

EDIT:

Okay, I found my set of covers today. Figured I'd post my photos. My hoof covers seem to have gotten a lot stiffer than I remember over the past six years. I'm leaving up the other photo because it shows them laid out better, but here's mine:

Hoof Covers Bag Outside and Inside Writing

Hoof Cover and Writing on Inside

Last edited by LoyalHistorian; 07-09-2020 at 03:07 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?
    P
    Many

JMM
    ?

Wonderful thread that only now I saw. Thank you.
    I recommend this book:

Thanks for the recommendation JMM! I am definitely going to read that! I've always been fascinated by animals in the military. Cher Ami the pigeon, Sgt. Stubby the dog, Sgt. Reckless the horse, Wojtek the Polish bear. My grandfather's WWII regiment had a little terrier dog named Sarge as their mascot. Of course, they had a Sgt chevron pinned to his collar. He wasn't a working dog or anything, but he was a morale boost. I have a photo of him somewhere. When I find it, I'll post it.

I wish I could afford a Dickin Medal. I looked them up once out of curiousity, and they go for a pretty penny. Much too far out of my price range. If I remember right, they were going for around $7000 to $15000, depending on the specific animal's story.

JMM
    ?

Yes, the medals are pricey
    Let's not forget the remarkable woman who started it all: Maria Dickin
    There are also to other books ("The Cry of the Animal" by Maria Dickin and "Animals' VC" by David Long)

Last edited by JMM; 07-09-2020 at 08:27 PM.

I can’t recommend these two books by Damien Lewis enough. The story of Judy is simply unbelievable
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

I will be looking at ALL of those books! Here's one that I read years ago: War Dogs. It covered dogs used in the military from ancient times to the present Middle East conflicts. It gives many specific heroic stories over the years, as well as analyizing how they are useful, their effectiveness in battle, as well as on the psyche of soldiers and veterans.

A 1941 dated civilian dog licence
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?   Animals at War - Carrier Pigeons, War dogs, Cavalry, etc - Reference thread - What have you got?  

A scarce original Second World War period 'National Air Raid Precautions Animals Committee celluloid identity disc', impressed with its registration Number the reverse reads "Finder Please Report This Number To Nearest National Animal Guard".

The National Air Raid Precautions Animals Committee was established to ensure the well-being of domestic and working animal under war conditions, a national register was set up and registered animals were issued with a NARPAC numbered disc attached to a collar as identification.

National Air Raid Precautions Animals Committee - NARPAC

I had a WW1 Pigeon Parachute but I cannot find photos as it was a long time ago. They were made in a factory in Wales & there were different sizes & methods for holding the pigeon. They were dropped from planes, the idea being the starving French peasant found the trussed Pigeon & was asked to complete a small form detailing German positions etc nearby which was then put in the tube & the pigeon was released. I think I spotted a design flaw............"starving French peasant found the trussed Pigeon". I don't think many made their way back to Britain. I just found an article that the Germans substituted their own birds that then returned to German lofts & at the time I read they trained "Squadrons" of Falcons to attack those that had not gone in the cooking pot. The attached photo is not the one I had but similar(some had cages suspended below). Rob

Unfortunately drogue or flare parachutes are commonly sold by unscrupulous sellers as “pigeon parachutes” as original ones are very rare

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast