Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Beginning of my collection

Article about: Hi All Just thought I would post my first purchases to the site for your perusal. So my first purchase was this 30 Corps Medallion a few weeks ago. And then today I brought this group of med

Dave,

I think your newspapers may be real,, you may have to look at them closer to see if they were reprinted, there are sometimes subtle indications in fine print they were reprinted, but regardless, one suggestion to preserve them is to open them up so the crease or fold is laid flat. This crease in the newspapers is the "Achilles Heel" so to speak. After years of being folded on itself, the paper becomes quite brittle and will start to fall apart at the folds. Environment also plays a very key part in conservation of newspapers. A little bit of moisture and humidity in the air will help keep them from drying out.. Not sure what your climate is in your region, but for me, as an example, I live in the region of the Chihuahuan Desert in the far Western regions of Texas where it is very dry, arid and little to no humidity. Most newspapers that I have from this area have been folded for many years and they have also dried out and turned brownish as well.. I have opened up all of the newspapers I have so the crease is no longer folded and the papers are put in large newspaper size acid free folders. (Space is always a factor when preserving large paper and documents) so I only have in my collection large newspapers with major headlines, (Pearl Harbor attack, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, VE/VJ Day, Iwo Jima, etc. The rest of the newspapers I have moved them on, and in some cases I have had to throw them out because they have just simply crumbled with handling.

Smaller size newspapers such as "Stars and Stripes" are a little easier to manage since they are smaller in size, but the preservation of them is virtually the same, opened at the crease (if any) and laid flat in archival safe, acid free document protectors...

Your Daily Herald and Daily Express papers look to be originals,,, and one thing to consider as well.. Would there be any profit in reproducing a newspaper that has no major headline?? Please don't take this out of context, The Downing of 175 planes is very significant for your country during this particular time in the war but most of the headlines are not attention grabbers like the ones I mentioned above but I am not familiar with your countries methods of celebrating significant military events in newspaper form.. We do have reproduction newspapers here in the USA, such as the OAHU ATTACKED DECEMBER 7, 1941, newspaper. This has been reprinted and sold by the thousands....

Another nice group of items you have here....

Thanks again for sharing with us..

Smitty
    Last edited by Rakkasan187; 05-14-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added another sentence

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Beginning of my collection
    P
    Many

The newspapers look alright to me as well. The problem is, that a lot of facsimiles were printed in the 1970's, and they're now getting to a point where they have age-related damage that makes them hard to tell apart from a 70 year-old original. I have quite a few newspapers, and I will observe that broadsheet-sized papers tend to have a significant amount of wear and tear around the folds. The smaller sized ones tend to be the ones that are better preserved.

Beginning of my collectionBeginning of my collection

Regards, B.B.

I think the one dated 16th September 1940 is interesting because that was the day after a massive assault, the last I believe of the Battle of Britain, although fighting continued for several more weeks.

Think I will try and get some WW1 papers as well. It is strange but most of my life I was more interested in WW2 but just recently WW1 has become more of interest, although have no idea why.

Dave,

Here is a quick example of a reprinted newspaper here in the US. It is a classic Pearl Harbor souvenir..

For the unsuspecting eye, this would appear to be a WW2 era newspaper.. The paper looks old and is browning as would be typical for the 70 plus years old..

Here are the red flags,, some not as obvious..

1. The print is not legible in some of the areas, An original paper from the Honolulu Star Bulletin would have been much more legible, some of the smaller print is very hard to read..
    2. The size of the paper compared to the print.. There are some very large borders and spaces, where on the originals, most of the paper would have been printed on, leaving very little to the top and bottom. Look at the borders on this paper..
    3. This is the most subtle and to the untrained eye could fool many unsuspecting collectors who think they are getting an original Pearl Harbor Newspaper.. At the bottom of one of the pages it is printed... "Printed and Distributed by Pacific Film Corporation, Honolulu, Hawaii... P.O. Box etc., etc.... Couple of red flags here.. 1. Hawaii during this time was a Territory and correspondence would be addressed as T.H. Territory Hawaii, not just Hawaii. One some of the reprints at the bottom of the page there is an address where you can obtain additional copies..
    4. If you look under the price on the front page in the upper right of the paper, in very, very, small print you will notice the date the paper was printed.. In this case it was printed in 1974 by Pacific Film Corporation and has a copyright protection logo..

So, there are some ways to detect if the papers are authentic or not, and as I mentioned I am not familiar with the reproductions from your country but would imagine the same type of indicators would be identified..

Didn't mean to hijack your thread or get off topic... My apologies..

I have attached some pictures of the newspaper for reference purposes. One of the smaller photos is of an original paper, the second small picture shows at the bottom in fine print where copies can be obtained (copies available thru Fleet Reserve Assn.) and the larger pictures are the reproduction with the printing marks and space between top and bottom..

On the original Newspaper you will see that the causalities are listed BELOW the crease where on the reproduction you will see they are ABOVE the crease.. This is due to the top and bottom borders. The original does not have such a large gap...

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Beginning of my collection   Beginning of my collection  

Beginning of my collection   Beginning of my collection  

Thanks. No problem hijacking thread, knowledge is king and every bit I can learn will hopefully help me spot fake things. I was at an auction Saturday and a WW2 watch interested me but condition wasn't great and remembered what others had said on forum about buying best one you can, so I decided to not bid on it.

I am going to look into picking up some German death cards from WW1. It is funny how I think of the german soldier from WW1 was different from the one of WW2. Am I right to think that way?

Quote by BarneyDave View Post
    I am going to look into picking up some German death cards from WW1. It is funny how I think of the german soldier from WW1 was different from the one of WW2. Am I right to think that way?
    They were two different generations fighting in two different wars, so you're not wrong. Quite a few of the older men did end up fighting in both wars. I think to a lot of them, their job was their job. The majority were not motivated by a political cause, but by their sense of duty. At the end of the day, all they wanted was to survive and go home to their families, just like the men on the Allied side.

B.B.

So a couple more pieces for my collection. The paper is from February 1915 and looks great.

The german death card seems interesting as I am sure Granatvolltreffer stands for a grenade strike, but maybe someone else can confirm.

Beginning of my collectionBeginning of my collection

I believe the Death Card reads as follows.

Religious remembrance in prayers to our dear, eldest son & wife. Brother Josef Flofzmann Holztechniker NCO in a Geb.-Jg.-Rgt. Owner of the E K II, the Infantryman Insignia and the East Medal
    who on 10 March 1943 Abinskaya, east of Novorosisk, by a grenade hit at the age of 23 years heroic death.

If anyone can confirm it does or not would be great help.

Quote by BarneyDave View Post
    I believe the Death Card reads as follows.

Religious remembrance in prayers to our dear, eldest son & wife. Brother Josef Flofzmann Holztechniker NCO in a Geb.-Jg.-Rgt. Owner of the E K II, the Infantryman Insignia and the East Medal
    who on 10 March 1943 Abinskaya, east of Novorosisk, by a grenade hit at the age of 23 years heroic death.

If anyone can confirm it does or not would be great help.
    Killed by Artillery hit;

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4