Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!

Article about: Got this haul from an estate sale in IL this weekend. The lot was much larger but someone else bought the rest. Turns out the husband of the granddaughter who was running the sale (selling h

Default Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!

Got this haul from an estate sale in IL this weekend. The lot was much larger but someone else bought the rest. Turns out the husband of the granddaughter who was running the sale (selling her grandfather's items) is an active duty Navy SEAL. They were kind enough to send this t-shirt and a legitimate Trident purchased on his base. I probably overpaid a bit (paid $600), but I was also helping her identify items and I thought this was a very unique opportunity to get some SEAL items that they didn't have to get me. Have not yet received the items, this is a seller provided photo but was too excited to wait to share. Not sure why the photos are sideways because they aren't on my phone and computer.

The Mein Kampf is personalized.

The flag is double sided with a rope tie, size 88" x 41".

Multi-piece construction armband.

All medals belong to her grandfather, Irving Kangas. My understanding is he had something to do with communications during the war.

Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estate haul - Including Navy SEAL goodies!
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

So you pulled the trigger . The book is great with the Vets note to his son back home.

Nice t shirt and trident too.

The bronze star (if awarded to the Vet) is a modern replacement award. Going by the box, probably sometime in the 80s or 90s.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I did indeed after much deliberation! The book was a big selling point. I have been looking to get a period MK just to have in my collection but I appreciate the personalization. Thanks for pointing that out about the Bronze Star, I thought it looked rather new but according to the granddaughter it's his. So you are probably right that it is a replacement. No worries about that though! Thanks MAP!

MAP
    ?

Did they say how he earned the bronze star?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

They did not. I can try and find out though. His son (granddaughter's dad) is still alive and she asked him about the medals because she had a Marine brother who passed from cancer and the dad confirmed the medals were for his dad's WWII service. Her dad is quite old, so if he made a mistake it's honestly not a big deal to me. I've been wanting one for my collection to represent my great uncle's four Bronze Stars that he was awarded for his service in Able Company of the 101st in WWII.

?

A nice grouping.
    I'm surprised the SEAL parted with one of his Trident's.

They are hard to earn and usually kept amongst the elite.
    One of my good friends growing up was a SEAL and he would not part with any of his.
    He asked "Did You Earn It?" which of course I had to say No.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 06-21-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Funny how this all went down, his wife let slip he was a SEAL which she probably wasn't supposed to say and it just kind of went from there. I had debated about asking for one thinking it might be offensive to do so and I figured the worst they could say is no. He went to whatever the store or supply area is on base and picked me up a brand new one for $20.