Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Greek Commemorative War Medal 1940-41

Article about: Hello folks. Having recently re-read Antony Beevor's 'The Second World War', I was inspired to pick this up after reading the section related to the Greco-Italian War. Not a particularly rar

Default Greek Commemorative War Medal 1940-41

Hello folks.

Having recently re-read Antony Beevor's 'The Second World War', I was inspired to pick this up after reading the section related to the Greco-Italian War. Not a particularly rare, desirable or expensive medal, but they are interesting.

The Greek Commemorative War Medal was instituted by Royal Decree on 19th August, 1947. It was awarded to Greek military personnel who took part in military action from the outbreak of war in Greece in 1940, up to the fall of Crete in 1941. There were two variants of this medal, for Army and Navy personnel. They differed only in their inscriptions. Army medals, like this one, bear the rear inscription: '1940-41 Eprius, Albania, Macedonia, Thrace, Crete'. Navy medals read: '1940-41 Aegean, Ionian, Myrtoum, Adriatic'.

The obverse design was changed in 1983, in acknowledgement of Greece's transition from a kingdom to a republic in 1974. The crown and profile of the monarch, King George II, was changed to a winged female figure, with the word 'Greece' inscribed at the top of the laurel wreath. The '1941' on the rear inscription was also removed.

Greek Commemorative War Medal 1940-41Greek Commemorative War Medal 1940-41Greek Commemorative War Medal 1940-41Greek Commemorative War Medal 1940-41

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Greek Commemorative War Medal 1940-41
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very nice. Never seen one before. You certainly don't see them over here. I will have to keep an eye out for one of these given my heritage.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very nice. Never seen one before. You certainly don't see them over here. I will have to keep an eye out for one of these given my heritage.
    If you really want one, there are several people selling them in bulk on the likes of eBay. They're not expensive at all, but an interesting oddity you don't often see in people's collections.

B.B.

MAP
    ?

Thanks. Let me take a look tonight! Appreciate the lead
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)