MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My WW1 collection and momentos of the Royal Naval Division.

Article about: After six years it’s about time I started showing off some of my WW1 bits made up mostly of battlefield relics. The collection used to be more extensive but due to moving house the collect

?

Thanks for sharing more nice relics.
    Being a Bayo guy, Even though a relic, I like the hooked quillion '07
    Those are a rare one.

Semper Fi
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My WW1 collection and momentos of the Royal Naval Division.
    P
    Many

The P1907 was one of my first relics from years back. Although it is solid I wouldn’t like to drop it, the handle certainly wouldn’t survive. As you can probably imagine, cleaning it was quite a fraught operation. It’s definitely a relic
    Last edited by RSVBiffer; 03-14-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Default German Grenades

A break from the RND pieces

Kugels M13 & M15 n/A / Diskus M15

Karabins M13 with friction disk, M14, M17 & Wurfgranate-16

Eggs M17, M17 n/A & plate

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My WW1 collection and momentos of the Royal Naval Division.  

Default Back to the Somme

Reused Erkennungsmarke (St Quentin)
    Under the weight of the German Spring Offensive the Royal Naval Division retreated from Flesquieres Ridge. Despite holding its line the Division’s flanks were repeatedly exposed as the covering units were lost. The enemy advanced several thousand yards beyond the RND line with Anson Btn. becoming completely isolated and having to fight its way through to reestablish contact with the Division.

Stielhandgranate M17 (Pozières) and Feldflasche (The Ancre)
    The Feldflasche bears the makers ink stamp dated 1917.

After six days of continuous defensive fighting the Division was relieved by the 12th Division. The RND had taken up defensive positions between Aveluy Wood and Bouzincourt when the line of the relieving force was broken. With each of the battalions now numbering around only 250 fatigued men the Division counterattacked. It was reported that the enemy both ran screaming in panic and climbed trees to avoid the fighting before withdrawing. The Division had continuously delayed the German advance on this section of the front before bringing it to a halt, removing any possibility of a rout.

Default The Final Push

Feldflacshe, British Bottle & Captured Frontline Map

Both flasks are from Albert

The map is dated August 1918, 1:25 000 scale, for the Graincourt area. Complete with creases and candle wax stains. Covers the Royal Naval Division’s advance from Inchy through the Hindenburg Line and the Canal Du Nord to Cambrai. With the Division at the forefront of the push the number of casualties remained high.

Stahlhelm M17, Niergnies ground recovery

It had been determined Niergnies must be taken without a preceding barrage. A number of attempts had been made by the army, each had failed. XVIIth Corps Command was informed the capture of Niergnies was of vital importance and must be achieved. A request was put in for the Royal Naval Division to temporarily return to the line, the Division being overdue promised rest.

On 8th October the RND launched its assault. By 09:55 the Division occupied the village. Heavy fighting continued as several determined German counterattacks were thrown back. At 15:00, with the village secure, the Division pushed the line forward again allowing the Third Army to pass through to Cambrai. Two days later the last of the enemy’s prepared defences fell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2